Page 69 of 137 < 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 136 137 >
Topic Options
#48478 - 12/01/15 12:37 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Andy Holmes]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
What the hell are the people in the Western world doing in the wake of the Paris atrocity?
World leaders join hands and march in Paris, millions march and trot out the platitudes as the camera crews jostle for live quotes.
Barmy Boris the Mayor of London comes on national TV and glibly spouts that the security agencies know who the terrorists are, they are monitoring their phone calls, and they are equipped to deal with the threat.
So, what is the half wit nutter and his cohorts doing about it?
Not a damned thing.
If, as Boris spouts, they know who, where and when, was the Paris attack allowed to happen?
The irrational sub-humans who kill people because they feel insulted have to be reigned in.
It is of no help for Government ministers and opposition MPs to say that the Muslim religion is generally peaceful and law abiding.
It is not. History proves they are a bloodthirsty and single minded people, as are the Christians and every other creed who feel the need to kill those who disagree with their tenets.
Every religion and creed carries out atrocities in the name of good, their own particular good.
We must now allow the security agencies in every country to prevent the nutters slaughtering innocent people at will.
Rallies will not do that job. Freedom to act on intelligence will.
Je suis Rab.

#48480 - 12/01/15 07:31 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
JohnM Offline

Loc: Europe
I think the idea is that a world which respects human rights is less likely to produce the likes of those people who murdered the people in Paris. I'd imagine it is hard to get the balance right.

#48481 - 12/01/15 07:41 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: JohnM]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
I think there are still plenty of people around that exploit weakness. So much of today remindes me of the 1930s. Idealists could not bring themselves to understand what Hitler had in mind, and then left him alone to start world war 2.

You cannot contain evil, you have to confront it in the end and the sooner the better.

They say its nothing to do with Islam when in fact its everything to do with islam.

#48483 - 12/01/15 11:47 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Wee Rab Offline

Well I had to laugh at Reporting Scotland tonight on the possibility of designating a Scottish National Anthem.
Every rugby fan will tell you Roy Williamson’s Flower of Scotland is the unofficial accepted Scots anthem, and is played at almost every sporting event north of the border.
I have to admit I shed a tear when Roy died in 1990, as I am fairly and generally unemotional regarding entertainers, but Flower of Scotland was, and still is a special song.
Another contender was The Bonnie Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond. A song I learned at primary school, and never bothered much with until I heard the Runrig version recorded in 1983. That song made me life long fan of Runrig, and I still have the tickets when I first went to see them with Janet at the Magnum Leisure Centre in Irvine in 1998. They rekindled my interest in the Gaelic, but with German and Italian being foremost because of holidays, my basic Gaelic is singing along to Runrig, which I still do frequently.
Next in line was Dougie Macleans’s Caledonia. A classic melody with words from the heart, and one which still drags a tear from the eye of the most cynical Scot, no matter where they be in this world.
Then came, I Would Walk 500 Miles, from the Proclaimer’s album Sunset on Leith, a rousing chant with an infectious chorus. Nah nah nah na, dum diddly dumdiddly dah
Which would I vote for?
Difficult choice. I love Caledonia, and only one thing stops me making it my number one choice.
The lyrics of Flower of Scotland. I still feel the undying need to stick two fingers up to the Ingerlish, and Proud Edwards’s retreat prompted with a thousand un-kilted bare bums just tickles my funny bone, so I vote for Roy’s Flower of Scotland, with Dougie’s Caledonia a close second.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#48484 - 13/01/15 10:12 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Rab, I think all of the songs you mention are great. In primary school we learned "on the bonnie banks of Loch Lomond and a host of other Scottish songs as if they were our own. sadly one of the things we didn't learn was Irish history. I say "sadly" because I think it would have helped the protestant community to better understand their catholic neighbours. If Scotland ever gets around to needing a new national anthem sticking "two fingers up to the Ingerlish" your nearest neighbours, should be low down the list of things you wish to do.
Scots can be justly proud that they succeeded in sending proud Edwards invading army packing, even though it was a long time ago and many more important battles have been won and lost in between. In a country whose population includes many English the wording of Flower of Scotland would not be the most inclusive for a national anthem ..... in any case I think the English won too many of the battles to be overly concerned by your salute but if it'll keep you happy ....
In Northern Ireland protestants still celebrate the defeat of King James by William of Orange in 1690 and that "Glorious Revolution" changed the whole of the UK but reference to the Battle of the Boyne in a national anthem would be a divisive thing. The Irish rugby team which includes players from the north who think of themselves as British, helped alleviate the problem of allegiance by singing two songs.

I have an interest in Gaelic language and culture which I think is a very positive thing, although many of my friends would be much less enthusiastic. A few years ago there were some proposals for language classes down at Whithorn but there was insufficient interest. The loss of a language, I think, is much more serious than the issue of a national anthem. There are lots of people who can speak English, French etc but just one person learning Gaelic (especially in an area where Gaelic is spoken) is massively more important than a hundred people learning French. This may be a battle that it's now too late to win. Unless it's spoken as a first language in the home, I think it's unlikely to survive. despite that I think the Scottish and Irish governments with help from Europe should do massively more to promote the use of the gaelic language in those areas which still retain native some speakers. Increasing awareness of language by dual road signs etc, although expensive in my opinion plays a small part in awareness. In N Ireland, more than a century ago when it was recognised that the Irish language was almost gone, it's survival was not helped by the politics of the Gaelic League and priests who didn't want their congregation speaking in another tongue. It formed almost no part of the "planted" protestant tradition. I think the Gaelic language and culture in Scotland is much less part of the history of the Lowlands which were influenced more by presbyterianism.

PS My Christmas present for myself was a gaelic course)

#48489 - 13/01/15 05:51 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

Haha Raymond, I am quite sure my friends in England detected the bulge in my cheek!

I wish you good luck with the Gaelic, I persevered for some time with a ‘Teach Yourself’ book but finally gave up. I really think the only good way of learning such an ancient language with no basis of Latin or the early European tongues is to attend classes or immerse your self in a community where it is spoken all the time.

I popped in to the distillery today and it is sad to see the place so deserted.
I bumped in to Hughie for a second as he was hot-footing it to another part of the building, so I went to the shop and was delighted to find Yolanda had finally been given some stock.
There was half a shelf of Lightly Peated Distiller’s Choice, so I raided Janet’s purse and bought a couple of bottles.
No news about the future, but as the old adage goes; ‘No news is good news.’ I certainly hope it is.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#48490 - 13/01/15 06:53 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
I'd probably consider going to a language class if there was one locally, but at this stage I don't fancy having to drive down to Belfast .... I could end up like yourself having a crack at it and then giving up. Time will tell.

#48491 - 13/01/15 09:38 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
JohnM Offline

Loc: Europe
Very good. Are you learning Scots Gaelic or Irish Gaelic?

We were all taught it at school in the Republic, but maybe it wasn't very well taught.

#48500 - 15/01/15 10:12 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: JohnM]
Wee Rab Offline

No doubt you will have knowledge of this from Companies House Raymond.

Company BLADNOCH HOLDINGS LIMITED was a Private Limited Company, registration number SC400432, established in United Kingdom on the 26. May 2011. The company was dissolved. The company was in business for 3 years and 7 months. The company used to be located at BLADNOCH DISTILLERY BLADNOCH, WIGTOWN, NEWTOWN STEWART, DG8 9AB. Business of the company BLADNOCH HOLDINGS LIMITED by SIC and NACE code was "11060 - Manufacture of malt". There are 9 company documents available. The most recent document is "FINAL GAZETTE: DISSOLVED VIA VOLUNTARY STRIKE-OFF" from the 2015.01.23. The latest accounts are filed up to 2013.05.31. The latest annual return was filed up to 2014.05.26. The total number of directors was so far 4. Data on this page were generated on the 2015.01.15.

Don't know if this moves things forward as far as the sale of the distillery is concerned.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#48502 - 16/01/15 12:23 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
autism Offline

Loc: sewickley, pa, usa
Wee Rab, I saw the notice also and well, enough said....

Page 69 of 137 < 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 136 137 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com