Page 68 of 137 < 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 136 137 >
Topic Options
#48449 - 04/01/15 11:36 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Having had a fairly dormant Facebook account for several years, unused and really unwanted, I finally brought it to life and posted a pic of myself to herald in the new year, and was immediately inundated with ‘friend requests’ from a thousand people I do not know, or particularly want to.
I have just two listed friends, a lady in Canada I have known for around 20 years, and a lady in County Durham, also a personal friend for around 20 years, none of whom I have spoken to on Facebook.
One of my reasons for enlivening this account was to keep abreast of what bottles Martin, Whiskybroker is bottling, as he and Jane use Facebook as their means of international info broadcasting.
The resulting attack on my e-mail accounts makes me wish I hadn’t bothered!
Facebook is an intrusive undermining organisation which appears to be taking over they way in which people conduct their lives.
Every computer and tablet in the house has linked itself to my e-mail addresses, without asking me, and is telling everyone who talks to me via e-mail what I am doing.
If I want people to know what I am doing, I will tell them.
I think I will be deleting my Facebook nonsense within a few days, and go back to telephoning people with whom I need to converse.
Cheers, Rab.

#48450 - 05/01/15 09:20 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
That's an interesting comment Rab and I'm sure most people share some of your sentiments. Facebook can be a very useful way to receive information but in accepting "friends" who you don't know, you quickly get inundated with pointless stuff that becomes a serious nuisance. I think it has already become something that most people couldn't manage without, like a TV or telephone.
In my case, I accepted friends that I didn't know but thought maybe I have met them and should know them and am just being forgetful .... offers from friends may even have included ladies who were a bit suspect.
My advice would be to stick with it for a bit but be careful about the friends you choose.

#48451 - 05/01/15 10:02 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
Åke Johansson Offline

Loc: Hammar�, Sweden
I must admit that I don´t have a multitude of friends, that goes for real life as well as facebook, and I rarely accept new "friends" on facebook. Despite of that it has happened that I have regretted saying yes to people asking to be my fb-friends. Fortunately there is a possibility to dump them when you get fed up. So maybe you needn´t cancel your account totally Rab.

#48452 - 05/01/15 04:42 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Åke Johansson]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Hi Rab.

I find take on Katie Hopkins interesting, and I totally agree. I don't like what she says, but I defend her right to say it.

Unfortunately we don't have free speech in the UK, we have some very strict libellous laws (which I'm sure you are very familiar with!), and we have the malicious communications act outlawing any person who sends "a message which is indecent or grossly offensive" which can result in up to 6 months in prison.

One of the few things America gets right with there constitution, but it does allow the delightful Westboro Baptist Church to operate freely.

#48454 - 05/01/15 10:27 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: ]
Wee Rab Offline

I watched the first series of ITV’s Broadchurch, and found myself a member of the minority who found it predictable, badly acted and fairly mundane.
Following ITV’s trailers screened since last year, proclaiming another series was on the way, bigger, better and more compelling; I was of a mind to give it a body swerve.
However, the trouble and strife was keen to see the first episode tonight, so I stayed downstairs and watched it.
Another hour of my ever shortening life lost, never to be regained. It was AWFUL.
I fear the TV companies have been cost cutting again, dispensing with the services of sound engineers.
The volume of the music soundtrack on Broadchurch dulled out the mumblings of the actors, apparently all striving for ‘reality’ at the expense of the audience. Even experienced lip readers would have been at a loss as much of the camera work was shot at angles which obliterated the faces of the cast.
Another bunch of studio ‘luvvies’ fulfilling their personal creative needs, and sod the viewers.
TV drama is no longer about entertainment, the ‘luvvies’ never ending quest for ‘reality’ means programmes are now unintelligible and hard to view.
Even the daytime dumbed down dross is guilty of bad sound production.
The daily dose of auction room flogging leaves viewers wondering what the presenters and contestants are saying as the voice of the auctioneer, supposed to be in the background for ‘reality’ drowns out the voices of the centre screen people.
Whilst on the subject, the Beeb’s new ‘look at us’ screen shot is more than a few decibels louder than the programmes, most annoying.
Back to the bottle of Glencadam, Cheers, Rab.

#48455 - 05/01/15 10:48 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
Very well expressed Rab I just thought it was crap and turned off after about 10 minutes. How can peole watch it are they just sheep. ?

#48467 - 08/01/15 10:36 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Wee Rab Offline

Nous somme Charlie.

As you say Raymond, a sad day, but also a day which was avoidable.
The two brothers who are alleged to have committed the atrocity in Paris were known to the security agencies all over the world. Indeed, they were on the American Home Land list of people not permitted to set foot in the U. S. of A.
Likewise, the radicalised thugs who butchered a soldier on the streets of London were known to the agencies.
However, those who control world wide human rights, and dictate to individual governments, who they can, and cannot arrest and lock up, continue to insist that the human rights of people who butcher innocent members of the public are more important than those of the victims.
Had the authorities in London and Paris had the controlled ability to take these people off the streets before they carried out their atrocities, they would have come under scrutiny and criticism by those and such as those who allow the innocent to die by the sword, and also defend those who wield the sword.
The sooner this human rights nonsense is dispensed with, the better.
The goodies know who the baddies are. Let them deal with them before they act.
Je suis Rab. Je suis Charlie.

#48471 - 09/01/15 11:07 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

The British National Health Service was set up to provide free medical assistance to everyone in need of medical help at point of entry.
In recent years, it has run into many major problems as basic costs rise and demands on the service increase.
Three odd years ago, the unthinkable happened, a private company was allowed to take over the running of an ailing NHS hospital to run it as a business.
Today, The Circle Group walked away from Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Cambridgeshire, and handed back the keys despite shouting from the rooftops they were succeeding in February 2012 where the NHS had failed.
The private sector has boasted for years that they can take over, and improve what were nationalised services.
The water companies proved they were, and still are wrong. Investment in infrastructure is a poor third after profits and share dividends and bonuses.
The private sector wants too much from their investments, whereas the Government can, and always does, find the cash to offset the running deficits.
The Circle Group admission that their cash backed system has failed the one and only singular test is a clear indication that nationalised services are a must for this country to succeed.
Our railways are a shambles, our water and sewerage system is a disgrace, the postal service is crumbling, all a testament to the disregard Maggie Thatcher and her ilk had for the non profit making services which made life in Britain one which was the envy of the civilised world.
There is nothing wrong with a profit making business, unless it is one which was stolen from the public.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#48472 - 10/01/15 01:47 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
Of course it was bound to happen. I was very suprised at the time when labours Mr Burnham stated the process off. You could understand if the Tories did it but not Labour. They are all the same say one thing and do another.

Rab could you tell me the things Governments run well before you give them a whole load more stuff to look after. They cannot even regulate anything so how can they run it.?

#48473 - 10/01/15 09:23 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Andy Holmes Offline

Loc: Knutsford. Cheshire. UK
Sticking plaster politics!!. It begs the question whether we are capable of responding to any major incident.
Did you see the number of vehicles, police with guns etc.... There were hundreds of police/specials/vehicles who were able to give assistance at short notice!

I hope we would be able to respond with this amount of force in the event of a serious situation with this no of police?

ANDY

Page 68 of 137 < 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 136 137 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com