Topic Options
#50560 - 30/03/18 09:34 PM Whithorn Transatlantic session
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Well the list for the Whithorn Transatlantic Session in June is taking shape, but still short of the 19 bottles cracked last year.
Here is the list so far guys, and it’s looking good.

A 30 year old Strathclyde straight grain bottled at 52.6% abv from an ex-rum barrel bottled by Whiskybroker at Creetown Bond.

An 8 year old Aultmore from the wood at 51.9% abv; bottled by Rafael at the Rattray Whisky Experience in Kirkoswald.

A 26 year old Cambus straight grain from a sherry butt, from the wood at 59.9% abv; bottled by Rafael at the Whisky Experience.

An NAS Goldlys double still at 43% abv. Distilled in a column still then a pot still, then finished in an Amontillado cask at the Filliers distillery in Belgium.

A 14 year old Highland Park bottled at 57.9% abv by Whiskybroker.

A 5 year old Caol Ila Carn Mor limited edition bottled at 46% abv; from a sherry butt, by Morrison & Mackay.

An NAS Tullamore Dew Phoenix Irish Whiskey bottled at 55% abv finished in an Oloroso cask.

An NAS Dingle Irish Whiskey batch 2 at 46.5 from a mixture of Oloroso, Amontillado and Ximinez casks.

A 14 year old Edradour at 58% abv from an Oloroso sherry butt, limited edition.

A 15 year old Dalmore at 40% abv finished for the last three years in a sherry cask.

An NAS Redbreast single pot still at 60% abv from all sherry casks, a Masters of Malt exclusive bottling.

That is the list so far guys, but a few more will be added before June, and we have, of course, Jon and Vikki’s world’s worst whisky to look forward to. Lord knows what they will produce this year.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50561 - 31/03/18 02:23 PM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Dave N Offline

Loc: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Cana...
That's a fine looking list Rab. No doubt there will be a few more additions before June. Looking forward to the trip. Our Islay visit is all booked and ready to go. Another Lagavulin Warehouse tour with Iain, a Bunnahabain warehouse tour, and an Ardbeg Committee room tour. This will be our first outing to the Outer Hebrides, with a visit to North and South Uist, and three days in Lewis and Harris. Tours to both distilleries there will be done.
Slainte

Dave N

#50562 - 02/04/18 10:26 AM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Grant Offline

Loc: Stonehaven
I've been sipping on the Cambus from kirkoswald - that is a fantastic dram , if that is the benchmark it will be a fine "dramfest"

#50563 - 03/04/18 12:26 AM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Aye ye're a sip ahead o' me Grant. I have the bottle, but I have not sampled it yet. I put it to one side for the Canuck invasion in June. If you are in the vicinity on June 1, feel free to join the fest, you are more than welcome. I have a few more wee specials tucked away, and I may even be pushed into opening a Port Ellen.
I am looking forward to a cracking weekend.

Cheers, nearly King Rab.

#50564 - 03/04/18 08:15 PM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Grant Offline

Loc: Stonehaven
I have no idea if i’ll Be near , though i’ll Be with you in spirit ( ! )

And opening the PE isn’t the worst thing , remember a shroud has no pockets , and it’s better to have lived a wee bit of the high life ,

Enjoy

#50565 - 05/04/18 08:44 PM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Three more added to the list for June. All are from Whiskybroker at Creetown Bond.
The 18 year old Deanston from a refill sherry hogshead bottled at 53.1% abv.
The 22 year old Speyside from a sherry butt bottled at 55.1% abv, and finally the 22 year old Tobermory from a sherry butt bottled at 56.8% abv.
I think another couple over the next month or so will about finish off the list nicely.
Just depends on what Martin decides to bottle between now and June!

Cheers, Rab.

#50567 - 06/04/18 09:57 PM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I was having a rake around under the stairs tonight and found a bottle of Martin’s wonderful Glenrothes, 19 years old, bottled in October 2016 at 53.5% abv.
I thought I had finished them all off, but one slipped through the net and now I have a dilemma.
Do I put it on the shelf for the Transatlantic tasting, or do I get wired in to it now?
It was one of the best drams of 2016, and I was sad to see what I thought was the last bottle emptied.
Dave, can you check the tasting ledger and see if you sampled it last year? And nae porky pies, I will demand proof :o))

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50570 - 09/04/18 02:55 PM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Dave N Offline

Loc: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Cana...
Rab,
Checked the "Black Book", and we did not sample the Glenrothes.We did however taste 27 over the two nights. Some memorable drams.
Benrinnes, G & M, Conn. Choice, 17 yr @ 46%
Dailuaine 16 yr @ 43%
Macduff, G & M, Conn Choice, 15 yr @ 46%
Ardmore 7 yr from Martin, 55.9% aged in a Laphroaig cask
Deanston, 11 yr, Amontillado cask finish

to name but a few
Slainte

Dave N

#50573 - 10/04/18 12:37 AM Re: Whithorn Transatlantic session [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

OK Dave, I will put it on the tasting shelf. It is wonderful.

Cheers, Rab.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com