Page 115 of 115 < 1 2 113 114 115
Topic Options
#50471 - 11/11/17 10:59 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]
Jolly Toper Online   content

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
The Travel Retail Exclusive tasting on the 23rd Nov. sold out so I turned attention to the Christmas Tasting on the 14th December which sold out before I mentioned it on Facebook/websites/forums. As there is quite a waiting list let's schedule another festive tasting for 7:30pm Thursday 7th December at The Kilderkin. Line up of drams to be confirmed.

#50476 - 15/11/17 01:39 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

I don't want to give too much away about the line up of the two Christmas tastings as when possible I like to pour the drams blind so everyone can judge the whiskies on their merits rather than be persuaded by expectations of reputation, age cask type, brand etc.

I will say that in the cupboard there is a privately bottled Arran at cask strength from a sherry cask, Glen Marnoch 29yo, Aldi's 1978 Armagnac, 40yo Port and 26yo Irish single malt. I've also got a cask strength Laphroaig only available from the distillery....

#50492 - 25/12/17 10:38 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Merry Christmas everyone - sorry another year has passed and the tasting write ups are once again sparse, I reallly enjoy them but time seems elusive. Maybe next year things will improve. I hope you have something nice in your glass and good company to share it with.

#50496 - 26/12/17 10:37 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]
Beefy Offline

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
What was the collective opinion of the Glen Marnoch? I have quite enjoyed my bottle of it. Any ideas where it hails from?

#50499 - 27/12/17 06:05 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Beefy]

It split the room - one voter had it the best of the night. I'm finding polarity a bit of a feature at the moment, either the drams posses such particular flavours that having a broad audience is unlikely or the reguars just are not on the same wavelength as me. There were three vocal tables at the last tasting. One, the 'trade' were pretty hard to please, the chemists were on the fence whilst the'party table' sponged up everything.

For me the Glenmarnoch was fine - nothing remarkable so don't lose any sleep if you missed it. On paper a 29yo single malt for £40 is a bargain buit I'm not sure I have enough money to justify buying one for the cupboard. I'd go for a Tamdhu 10yo myself. Having said that if your leaving age/rarity/price aside it tastes okay, a bit thin perhaps, the 40% easy to spot, interestingly a few comments critiscised the brevity of finish while more than one found the lingering notes were to their satisfaction. It did possess a certain faded charm. Ce plus ca change ce plus ca non change as I've wittered before (I only know this snippet of sagacity thanks to a Rush song).

#50505 - 10/01/18 08:13 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Dates for 2018 are confirmed but the themes are to be finalised

Jan 18 Mystery theme 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
- 5 drams linked but the connection is secret

Feb 8 Benriach Vertical 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

March 1 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
5 drams from the broad selection this Speysider has to offer.

March 22 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

April 12 Fab 50s - 5 drams from 50cl bottles £25
Tenuous! But hosting a tasting of 50yo whiskies isn't too realistic.

May 3 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

May 24 Mystery Vertical 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25
5 drams from the same distillery. The source will be revealed at the end of the tasting.

June 14 POURS 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

July 5 Vertical TBC : potentially Benromach, Glen Moray Knockdhu, Glengarioch, Bunnahabhain, Glen Grant, Glenglassaugh 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

#50513 - 19/01/18 11:12 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

So the big mystery : it was all blends. Perhaps wrongly I assumed poor attendnace for a tasting built around blended whisky. As it happened 26 of us took the plunge. I wasn't sure how long to keep the connection between the drams secret but we lasted until the final pour. There was some good guesses but nobody got close (although Ross said he guessed early but I never heard the comment). We started with 13 different minatures - so two people tasted the same dram : both the current version and an historic example - bottled either 20 or 30 years ago. Generally the older ones faired better but the modern incarnations often appealed more than the earlier style. We then tried Tweedale 28yo (£185)- an example of a luxury blend, fruity and generally popular. The scope of the tasting was broad but actually tracking down bottles wasn't as easy as I thought. We could have tired Canadian or Japanese blends, single-singles or single blends but in the end I went for Writer's Tears cask strength Irish - a mix of malt whisky and pot still (pot still being malted and unmalted barley) again very popular, tropical fruits being the signature, another posh one at £100. Next was Nomad, full sherry effect, used before at the tastings but worthy of a repeat due to the unique character - pretty popular and a bargain. Finally a nod to peaty blends with Islay Mist, again much cheapness. We'll do another mystery theme before too long.

Next tasting - a vertical Benriach. 8.2.18 £25

#50517 - 28/01/18 11:37 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Next tasting:

Thursday February 8th Benriach Vertical 7:30pm The Kilderkin £25

Hopefully some triple distilled spirit, an unusual cask maturation but definately the current 10yo compared with one from the 1990s and their now discontinued peated 'Solstice' expression.

#50520 - 07/02/18 12:50 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Triple distilled spirit eluded me (there was a chance of a Horizons 12yo port cask finished at 50% but as we tried it 10 years ago and it didn't display any particular character ascribable to triple distillatios I thought we'd not repeat the pour). There will be the brand new 21yo and a Burgundy cask bottled quite some time ago. There will also be a bottle of Something Special from the 70s, a blend Benriach would have gone into and some new make.

Page 115 of 115 < 1 2 113 114 115

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com