Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#49631 - 03/02/16 11:29 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Adrian, like to hear you waxing lyrical about whiskey and fairies. "a touch of green grass crushed by the foot of a fairy on a warm spring morn." Must be a west of Ireland thing.

I'm quite fond of the poetry of W B Yeats and the other day I was reading some poems about fairies to my grandaughter who is seven.
"Sidhe" I think is Irish for fairy and "Tir na nOg refers" to the other world

"The Stolen Child"
Where dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drousy water-rats;
There we've hid our faery vats,
Full of berries
And of reddest stolen cherries.
Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand and hand,
For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand.
etc. etc

I tried stumbling through a few lines in appaling Irish but alas she wasn't impressed. She also thought it a bit scary in English.

#49634 - 04/02/16 04:18 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
IrishWhiskeyChaser Offline

Loc: Galway, Ireland
A bit tongue in cheek as I was reminded of some elaborate notes from the last Tasting I was at, hosted by Charles MacLean, on some of the SMWS bottlings. A very enjoyable tasting I must admit.

As you say the Irish are great for waxing lyrical ... The Irish way is why use one word when you can use five in it's stead wink

I actually originally come Kerry in the south west and I grew up with Fairy stores so they were also very popular down there. They were actually taken very seriously back in the day. Another word for the old ring forts was a fairy fort and a farmer dare not to disturb that or bare the wrath of the little folk. There was also the fairy tree and again should never be disturbed. The Irish fairy was always seen as a maleficent creature never to be crossed. Scared the "be jaysus" outa me too I can tell you grin

or maybe they were just to keep the young children out of the woods ...

You might want to watch this before showing to the Granchildren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_EyPVV-WxA

Adrian

Irish Whiskey Society

#49768 - 09/04/16 07:55 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]

Have come up with a cunning plan with another share owner of 699 & 701. We will bottle a share of each and keep and recask a share of each also and divide between us so we have the best of both worlds. Can't wait for delivery of the first batch :-D.

I really thought the current aging is very interesting and acceptable. So getting half now is a great bonus.

However I like to say a big thank you to Raymond for this wonderful opportunity which in these days of rising prices looks like a complete bargain and a big thanks to Martin and co as I know it is probably more hassle than it is worth for them.

Sl√°inte ...

Adrian

Irish Whiskey Society

#49802 - 01/05/16 12:01 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]

1/2 of my allocation of 699 & 701 has arrived in Ireland. Woo Hoo.
Just wondering if any one has any specific information on the casks used. I know Raymond discussed the casks he was using but I have not seen any exact confirmation of what each cask is. I know one is French Oak and 1 American Oak Medium Toast but that is about all I know.
I even saw there was a picture of cask 699 in the pictures section but the links all appear broken to me at this stage.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

I found this information in a thread called Casks but other than that not much else. Would love to know what exactly these casks held but not a big deal if lost to time.

http://raymondarmstrong.co.uk/threads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19985#Post19985

Raymond Page 1
Quote:
Had a quick look tonight at yesterdays delivery of bourbon barrels and the wine casks. Most of the bourbon casks are from Buffalo Trace Distillery.
Being fond of wine I couldn't wait to stick my nose in these casks and they are very pleasing, excellent quality French oak. They're from various cooperages, including Francois Frere Tonnellerie in Cote d'Or; Seguin Moreau in Bourgogne; Gillet Pere et Fils St Romain; Berthomieu Tonnelerie, and Mendocino all I think in France plus World cooperage USA, obviously American oak
I haven't quite figured out all the markings representing different levels of toasting, eg MT Medium Toating, TH and HT I'm not sure about.
I'm going to pick what I think are good casks, up to three of them, fill them, they hold about 225 litres.

Also from Raymond Page 2
Quote:
Seguin Moreau Chagny 228 litres Bourgogne Kenwood Vineyard.

Mendocino Cooperage MT TH It also says F65 Oct 98

Francois Freres Tonnellerie St Romain Cotes d'Or France "A" "M plus" Oct98 This cask is slightly smaller but if this one is chosen you can decide whether to take a share in it when I fill it and know the capacity.

Francois Freres (as above) with the markings A HT TH Fut de tradition francais Qualite CTB Certificate No.1

Canton Cooperage Lebanon USA American white oak Medium w/toasted heads 225 litres Kenwood Vineyards.

Adrian

Irish Whiskey Society

#49811 - 04/05/16 11:21 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
Raymondo Offline

Hi Adrian
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been over at Martins for the past ten days and stupidly I didn't look at this posting mostly because I was in the "workers" accomodation at his business in Creetown and internet reception is poor. Co-incidently I was looking at a few empty Bladnoch casks lying outside. I'm not sure which numbers they were but I remarked to Martin that they were nice looking wee casks. I'll probably be over again in the next fortnight and I'll see if your two cask have further legible information .... they are obviously now a bit darker.

#49852 - 20/05/16 01:06 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]

Not at all Raymond, just me being an anorak ;-) If you can you can but not a major issue.

Picked up my allocation yesterday and could not be happier with how they turned out.

The whiskey is much darker than I expected which is great, like a beautifully polished piece of walnut furniture. The 699 cask is a bigger fuller whiskey with the 701 more refined whiskey. Both Drinking very nicely I feel at this age with the 699 edging it for me but I'll reserve judgement until I have a few more tastes.

Adrian

Irish Whiskey Society

#50462 - 01/11/17 11:55 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
Andrea Online   content

Loc: Isle of Lewis
Anyone know what happened with 699/701 casks?

#50464 - 06/11/17 03:27 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
Raymondo Offline

Hi Andrea I sent you a PM this morning and have since spoken to Martin who says you've been in touch with him. I think it's intended that the casks you refer to will be bottled very soon.
I need hardly add that his staff are keen that I don't sell any more tenth shares.

#50466 - 07/11/17 01:45 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
nab01 Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I look forward to try the result of the 699/701 casks and Im sure it was a good move for those that made the re-rack into sherry octaves. Do you remember the pink'ish colour it had in the beginning? smile

Today I got the first of four boxes of the heavily peated Bladnoch (cask #44) and I really look forward to taste it later!

/Niklas

#50467 - 07/11/17 07:45 PM Re: Other casks at Bladnoch... [Re: JohnM]
nab01 Offline

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The heavily peated Bladnoch from 2009 is really good!
Thank you Raymond!
Can you recall how many casks of heavily peated Bladnoch you filled? Any other years than 2009?

/Niklas

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com