Page 67 of 133 < 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 132 133 >
Topic Options
#48420 - 26/12/14 11:12 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Grant]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Had an interesting day and an early start when an American lady, a pal of Janet, came to visit and sample some whisky.
She used to live close to Carmel in California, and was a regular visitor to Clint Eastwood’s Hog’s Breath Inn, and even met the actor in the old Inn much to Janet’s envy.
However, since pitching up in Scotland, she developed a taste for whisky, albeit proprietary gantry malts, as opposed to American bourbons.
She arrived at our house at 1 pm today, and I eventually took her on to her next appointed visit at 2.30 pm, and in her own words, she was ‘glowing.’
I would use another word, as she sampled several sipping shelf sweeties, and even tried a glass of the sherry used to keep the wee barrel conditioned!
Fortunately for her, I had the merest sip of a well watered Tomatin, as I knew I would be ferrying her to our friends at the top of the hill.
Her last request before decanting herself from the car was: “Can I come back and visit Janet again?”
The funny thing was, she said at the outset, she didn’t like sweet drinks, and every dram she thought was wonderful was from a sherry cask.
Another convert, and maybe another customer for Martin!

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#48421 - 27/12/14 11:33 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
It's near the end of another year during which we lost control of Bladnoch Distillery and our N Ireland assets are on the market for sale. On the positive side I'm rid of some very unpleasant relationships. Some things you win, some you loose.
Despite getting a planning refusal for a bottling plant and warehouse near Bladnoch, Martin and Jane have managed this year to purchase a new house and business premises near Bladnoch at Creetown. Hopefully next year Rab, you'll be able to take Janet's American friend along to Bladnoch and get a tour or maybe go along to Creetown on the opposite side of Wigtown bay where there will be some sort of worthwhile whisky visitor experience.
When you are young you tick off your "achievements" and look forward to the challenges the next year will bring and as long as your business is making a bit of money you have time on your side.
Success next year for Martin and Jane could come on a number of fronts. They might manage to start rolling casks into the warehouses but this will require HMRC approvals. If they install some storage tanks, whisky could come in as bulk spirit and be filled into casks and stored for maturation. They may even start the process of putting together a small distillery, you'll note that I've mentioned putting together a distillery, before mentioning getting the various approvals. Planning, Building Control, Sepa, HMRC etc approvals are all necessary and can be difficult, expensive and time consuming. They are especially difficult if you only wish to proceed on a small scale.
In addition the Creetown premises require considerable tidying up, gardening etc to remove the look of dereliction.
I see Martin has added registration number WH14KEY to his car number WH13KEY. Unfortunately he needs to update his white van before he can use it. Considering the amount of travelling to distilleries and warehouses throughout Scotland he does, a few http://www.whiskybroker.co.uk stickers on the side of his van might be a useful promotional tool.
Thanks to all for their support.

#48423 - 27/12/14 11:48 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

I feel the time has come for the nanny state government departments to desist with weather warnings at a time we traditionally refer to as WINTER.
In fact, all traffic and weather warning should stop, because nobody takes the slightest notice of them.
Yesterday, radio, television and internet sites warned travellers that train services in central London would be curtailed due to an overrun in track engineering.
What happened? Hundreds of people queuing around King’s Cross Station trying to get on trains which couldn’t arrive or depart.
The same warning went out to people in Yorkshire regarding snow and ice. What happened? Road chaos, caused by drivers who ignored the warnings and attempted to travel by road.
But it is not just the Brits who now ignore the nanny state warnings about travel in foul conditions.
Drivers heading for the Alpine slopes in France and Switzerland, where they are used to snow in the high mountains, ignored the warning and headed for the hills.
Why do they do it? Is it because they know someone somewhere will turn up to rescue them, as usually happens?
Is it because they think the warnings will dissuade most people from driving, so the roads will be available to them?
Is it because nobody cares a jot about themselves or anyone else any more?
Everyone who becomes stuck in a traffic jam on a snowed up road is there because someone in front of them was incapable of driving in the conditions which occurred.
And by the same virtue, that very person my hit conditions which makes them the cause of a serious hold-up, no matter how great a driver they may think they are.
When I was growing up, my dad had a butcher’s van which he drove from village to village during the winter. When the weather was bad, he didn’t go. He didn’t need a warning from a TV weather semaphore signaller to tell him not to drive.
Common sense has been replaced with an attitude of ‘If we get stuck, someone will come and get us.’
What is so important to people that drives them to drive when they know they shouldn’t, and are not competent to do so?
It is time to root out the head-bangers who think they can drive in conditions they cannot, and prosecute them for stupidity.
These weather disruptions are a modern phenomenon, by modern, I mean the last 20 or so years. Before that, drivers just didn’t attempt journeys in bad winter weather.
The worst you heard on the news then was that a handful of long distance lorry drivers had been caught out overnight on the Shap or the north Yorkshire moor road.
The nanny state warning do nothing but breeds indifference in selfish people who think they are bomb or weather proof.
Have a safe New Year, Rab.

#48424 - 28/12/14 08:08 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
raithrover Offline

Loc: Fife
I caught some of the BBC coverage of the 'snow' and their onsite reporter was standing in a field covered in white stuff. However it wasn't even above his ankles.

The sheer stupidity of the general commuter beggars belief at times. Being prepared and informed before setting out is what I prefer to do.

Looking forward to 2015 for all here and lets see what it brings.

#48425 - 28/12/14 08:27 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: raithrover]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
We were due to have a " weather Bomb" in Norfolk ( whatever that is). It was nothing more than a damp squib. It was cold but no snow at all.
Press reporting is at an all time low as they try to frighten people with the way they write.
What we had was a vigorous low pressure system.
I find so many reporters are just young kids who have no idea of life but are cheap to employ.
We need newspapes that give uo real news, not pages of colour photos and little text.
Dumbed down is too kinder word for it.

Perhaps 2015 will improve the press but I think not. We have six months of General Election lies to look forward to.

#48429 - 30/12/14 12:13 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Wee Rab Offline

Well Johnny, it pains me to agree with your comments on young journalists, as many are untrained, have no concept of grammar, syntax or sentence construction.
As you say, they are cheap to employ, but they remain untrained as the newspaper industry has squeezed out the well paid old hacks, and there is nobody left in the written media to teach them what journalism is about, let alone how to write a proper sentence.
I still despair when I listen to radio and television presenters stuttering and offering unfinished sentences as questions to the general public, trying to coerce them into the reply they want to present to their watchers and listeners.
Social media has bred an uninformed, illiterate band of amateurs who believe they are filling the void of failing newspapers, but all they do is voice personal ill-informed dogma which is seized on as fact by equally ill-informed half wits who re-post their ramblings on other ill-informed social media sites.
I have said on this Forum in the past, journalism is the presentation of confirmed facts in a manner which can be understood by the general public.
Blogs, vlogs and all manner of on line publications are at best, a personal view of what one sees in the humdrum of daily life, and at worst, an unintelligible pile of self proclaimed garbage.
Opinion is not journalism, it is opinion, and completely subjective.
Journalism is the presentation of known facts, not innuendo and supposition.
That is why the on-line amateurs will never replace the trained and experienced newspaper writers.
They are untrained, enthusiastic and without the capacity to apply reason to a given set of circumstances and information.
Time for bed.
Cheers, Rab.

#48430 - 30/12/14 04:44 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
MrTH Offline

Loc: Springfield Massachusetts USA
 Originally Posted By: Wee Rab
Social media has bred an uninformed, illiterate band of amateurs who believe they are filling the void of failing newspapers, but all they do is voice personal ill-informed dogma which is seized on as fact by equally ill-informed half wits who re-post their ramblings on other ill-informed social media sites.

Hear, hear.

#48432 - 30/12/14 10:27 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: MrTH]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Rab, re your comment, "Drivers heading for the .... snow in the high mountains, ignored the warning and headed for the hills.
Why do they do it?"

Not on the same scale for I've never been able to afford the Alps but when I was a bit younger a friend and I used to love to go to the Mournes in the bad weather. (the Mournes are not proper mountains in the Scottish sense ... they are all under 3000 feet) Heavy snow, cold or strong winds were more of a challenge than simply hill walking for the scenery. There's nothing that touches on being made aware of the power of nature. I've never done anything in the mountains that has required being rescued but a flat battery on a boat has necessitated me having to stick up a flare and endure the humiliation of being rescued. No lives were at risk although at the time I was exceedingly grateful.

#48434 - 30/12/14 10:51 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

I can appreciate what you say Raymond, but did your forays into the Mournes ever cause a traffic jam of gargantuan proportions? As you indicate, they didn’t, but the power of nature can be experienced at any level, especially on the sea, in a motor boat with a flat battery!
As a former sailor, I have the greatest respect for both the sea and the elements, and one takes them for granted at one’s own peril.
I have been fortunate enough never to have suffered the ignominy of being towed back to harbour, but the RNLI are the only charitable organisation to which I subscribe, as they were always there should I ever have needed their help.
I am not a downhill skier of any experience, but when we visited our pals in Bavaria during the winter, I would go ‘Langlaufen’ cross country skiing, and it was the most enjoyable form of travel I have ever experienced. Especially the Jaegerbrau at the pub after the day was ended. A litre jug of mulled beer, fortified with God knows what, passed round the table and enjoyed by young and old alike.
Like your good self, I am missing my youth, and regretting those things I never did, but meant to.
Not to worry, my bucket list is small, as there are few things I didn’t get round to doing.
I just wish I had not developed a huge fear of being killed in an air crash as early as I did, as I would have extended my travels beyond the drivable limits I imposed upon myself.
Cheers, Rab.

#48439 - 31/12/14 10:41 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I will have a last 2014 rant, concerning the non-celebrity Katie Hopkins, who is supposedly being investigated by Scotland’s Finest for voicing her opinion on her own piece of the internet.
Her opinion may be garbage, it may be offensive to those who are easily offended, but she is a citizen of the UK, and as such entitled to voice an opinion, no matter who it offends or how offensive it might be, as long as it falls within the confines of legality.
Apparently, Police Scotland have intimated they are treating the unconfirmed number of complaints as serious, and will take action if warranted.
My question is, when did it become a police matter to decide what is free speech?
As far as I am concerned, it never has. Free speech is not a crime. What is said by any individual can be determined in law by a civil court as slanderous or defamatory.
To make an individual comment which may be disparaging towards another person is not a crime, unless an accusation of a criminal offence is implied or stated.
To call Glaswegians ‘sweaty’ is not a criminal offence.
To take the piss out of the referendum YES brigade is not an offence.
The big nosed Missus Hopkins leaves me neither hot, nor cold.
I take no notice of what the Press reports about her private bit of the Internet, but I do object to easily offended half wits making complaints to the police that calling Glaswegians ‘sweaty’ is racist. They do sweat, we all sweat, or perspire, take your pick.
Leave the cops to get on with dealing with real crime, and if so called celebs or anyone else offends your sensibilities, answer them back in similar terms, or ignore them.
Me, I bite back, as you will all have observed.
It maybe the wrong thing to do, but I think it is right, and will continue to do so.
Cheers and happy new thingy, Rab.

Page 67 of 133 < 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 132 133 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com