Page 131 of 133 < 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 >
Topic Options
#50392 - 10/07/17 11:19 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
I am really sick to the back teeth of political parties condemning each other, and their own, of ‘outrageous comments’ and ‘unacceptable behaviour’ for using a phrase which has been used for a hundred years.
Anne Marie Morris, a Tory, used the phrase ‘nigger in a woodpile’ and was immediately berated by every half wit in Parliament for using racist language.
Why?
Everyone uses the phrase in everyday discussion without ‘offending’ anyone.
There is still a colour of leather and shoes and boot polish called ‘nigger brown’.
Blacks in America use nigger as a self descriptive term, so why on earth are UK politicians soiling their Bond Street knickers for using the word?
Why are the television companies and newspapers using ‘the n word’ and ‘n*****’?
If black folks are not offended by the word nigger, why are white politicians?
We are being controlled by a bunch of apologetic half wits who feel the need to be sorry for garbage for which there is no need to be sorry.
It does not offend me. It does not offend my black friends, why on earth should it offend politicians?
The phrase has been around for more than 200 years. Why is it offensive now?
It is an historically accepted descriptive phrase to which modern half wits react with fake shock horror.
Get a life you dozy reactionary pinheads. It’s just a phrase we all understand because of historical racism. It isn’t racist. Grow up you apologetic bunch of sheep.

Yours most sincerely,

Rab, not a nigger, but a realist.

#50410 - 23/07/17 11:56 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Sitting watching Crime Stories on TV tonight, not something I normally do, and the intricacies of acceptable evidence, makes me wonder whether or not the Press in the 1800s were right or wrong in their reporting in the day.
The court reporting in the days of yore allowed the reporter to give a personal first hand description of the accused. This would include phrases such as ‘an angry looking individual with heavy eyebrows, a broken style nose and surly attitude.’
That description may or may not be more exact and incriminating than we want to accept.
It is also a description of a person suffering from congenital syphilis, not unknown in the poor and working classes up until the end of the last world war, in fact, up until the mid 80s.
Today, we have the power of TV and recorded court proceedings to let us see the individuals involved in court cases.
We all know that we can look at someone and think they are a ‘wrong un.’
The fact is, those first impressions are seldom wrong, and despite the demands of the justice system, known offenders are freed on ‘lack of evidence’ no matter how sure the public at large are convinced of guilt.
Clear and accepted evidence in law, is not always as ‘clear’ as we would wish it to be.
Plea bargaining and evidence exchange clouds the legal waters, but saves time, money and court verdicts, which oils the system.
I spent 30 years watching the system being oiled, but only saw a few cases which resulted in a guilty person evading punishment.
The precise evidence demanded today by the courts often leads to clouded waters and dubious acquittals.
I like to think that my predecessors were smarter than we are now.
They described what they saw, and were allowed to form an opinion, which should not have made courts act or react to what they presumed.
OK. Crime now is a deviant exercise, and those prosecuting it have to be as deviant as the perpetrators.
I have only one complaint, why are the complaints of the caught offenders the only complaints investigated?

Cheers ’n’ beers, Rab.

#50412 - 27/07/17 02:32 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well the wee toon o’ Whithorn had a celebration last night, when more than half the town turned out to line the streets to welcome home 17 year old boxer Tyler Jolly, gold medal winner at the Youth Commonwealth Games in the Bahamas.
Here is how it happened. Friends, family and Brave Hearts Boxing Club members suggested on social media that a Civic Reception was in order.
Within two days, it was organised. Tyler, his coaches, and members of the boxing club were paraded up and down the town on the back of an open lorry, applauded all the way by the people of Whithorn, many waving The Saltire, the emblem of Brave Hearts ABC.
Back at the town hall, a mountain of food, baked, cooked and spontaneously supplied by everyone and anyone, was set out on tables, and the main hall was packed to capacity, awaiting the return of their ‘Local Hero.’
Even recently retired councillor Alistair Geddes, took to the stage to act as MC.
The speeches from Tyler’s boxing coaches were short, but to the point, and every sentence was cheered by the people of Whithorn.
The building shook to the rafters when the man of the moment took to the stage, complete with Gold Medal around his neck.
A shy young man with exceptional boxing skills, almost embarrassed at the huge turnout to greet and congratulate him.
Tyler is a credit to his family, his boxing club and the town of Whithorn.
May he go from strength to strength in then boxing world, and bring more gold medals back to ‘the wee toon.’

Cheers, Rab.

#50413 - 27/07/17 09:09 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Brilliant Rab. Whithorn certainly can produce the boxing talent.

#50420 - 23/08/17 11:52 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I cannot understand the bleating of the human rights and privacy brigade who object to facial recognition photo identification being used on the streets of the UK.
They demand protection from terrorists, but object to their mug shot being used to preclude them from involvement in terrorist atrocities.
I still adhere to the premise that if you have done no wrong, you have nothing about which to worry.
Only those who have demons they wish to hide demand anonymity.
Enough of that for the moment, and I will not enter the fray of the KKK versus Trump … yet!
My fury tonight is directed at cyclist Charlie Alliston, the unrepentant moron who rode an illegal bike into a pedestrian and killed her.
There is no excuse for this moron’s actions. He rode an illegal machine on the road and slaughtered an unsuspecting pedestrian. He shouted obscenities at her prior to hitting her, he compounded that by shouting at witnesses it was her own fault.
I would not jail this moron. I would hang him by the testicles from the highest bridge in London, and attach his bike to his scrotum, and leave him as fodder for the Tower of London ravens.

Cheers, beers and smile for the camera, HRH Rab.

#50422 - 25/08/17 11:19 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I do not understand the angst being show by the UK politicians about the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic.
They argue about a ‘hard and soft’ border, how will it be controlled, will it destabilise the peace process.
The simple fact is, it is not the problem of the UK, and our politicians should not be negotiating what shape the border should have.
That new border will be the responsibility of the European Union, not the UK.
We will be leaving the EU, and the border with the EU and the UK will be a matter for the EU to look after.
Our politicians should not yet be debating the state of the border in public. They need an end plan, but that will depend on what the EU want to do with their border in Ireland.
Remember, it is not the Republic’s decision on what that border will be, it is the EU. The Republic is subservient to EU regulations, unless they too decide to back out of the disaster which saw the end of the Punt and the introduction of the Euro, with as much spending power as a sheet of toilet paper !
The border is currently an open door, and is probably abused as much as any other between un-united countries.
I am still young enough to remember the illegal trade between the Republic and the North and the Scottish mainland, with such things as watches from Europe, cattle from the South, carpets from Persia, and Lord knows what else from the rest of the world.
Even now, import tariffs can still avoided when buying from America or anywhere else by the post code trick which sees your parcel landing in the Republic, driven over the border to Northern Ireland, where it is re-directed to the UK mainland without interception or taxation.
Not that I would use such methods !! No, never.
For the likes of me, and my generation, the Irish border will always be there, but I hope the EU make the right decision and don't take us back to border controls. We have shown as two nations we are capable of having a controlled, but un-enforced border between conjoined neighbours.

I decree it must happen, HRH Rab.

#50424 - 27/08/17 11:13 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Misuse of our national language is something I find irritating and annoying, especially when it is done by advertisers reaching out to the illiterate.
However, the BBC and ITV this week allowed the most awful transgression of English language grammar to be broadcast without editing.
As usual at this time of year, the TV companies rely on examination results to fill time.
As usual, they went to schools and colleges where the results were handed out to students.
They regaled one young lady who had scant expectations, according to the young lady herself, but attained several ‘As’ and the rest ‘Bs’, one of her ‘As’ being English.
When interviewed, and asked how she felt about her grades, the young lady replied: “I’m just glad I done it.”
This is not a rant. It is available to watch on news catch up channels.
How on earth can anyone who attains an ‘A’ in English publicly utter such a reply.
Standards continue to drop. Testing levels continue to drop. Why?
Because successive UK governments demand equality, no winners, no losers.
Your children will all be as stupid as everyone else’s children.
This is a national disgrace, and nobody is doing a damned thing about it.

I am just glad I done this post!!!

HRH Rab.

#50426 - 03/09/17 12:50 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I have never really had much time for TV cooks, I will not call them ‘chefs’ for similar reasons I will not refer to deviants as ‘gay.’
The original TV cooks such as Keith Floyd, of my age group, were acceptable as it was a new genre of TV entertainment, and they knew what they were talking about.
I write this piece as TV cook James Martin (not my description) is being judged on how many of his former viewers are watching his latest show. I do not know the details as I have no interest in what he does on TV, but the latest newspapers headlines have decreed that this topic is of national interest!
I believe I have stated on this forum in the past, that the BBC did not have the good grace to acknowledge my criticism of one of said Mr. Martin’s TV debacles many years ago.
As a cook who did some training in France and a few hotels in England, one would have thought he had picked up enough about butchery to know the various cuts of meat.
I still recall the awful moment he described a ‘fore rib’ as a ‘four rib’ as the joint contained four ribs!
I assume he is still as embarrassed as I was incensed by such a terrible faux pas.
No matter, it is possible I too have made such a mistake, not however that I can recall, but I make no claims of being an expert in anything.
Maybe winding up bell ends may fall into a category so far not mentioned?
My point being, why on earth are newspapers asking why TV presenters do or do not take their half wit followers with them to new channels is newsworthy?
I must state that I have never watched a dancing, skating, talent, baking, or any other puerile competitive celebrity programme, other than by accident whilst channel surfing.
I am also sick to the back teeth of BBC Scotland indulging the deviant brigade for some unknown anniversary celebrating acceptance of deviant sexual practices as normal.

HRH Rab, King of or the normal people.

#50427 - 04/09/17 10:05 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I have spent some more time looking back at my ancestry, and have come across records, so far unconfirmed by myself, which takes me back a further two generations.
I have found that the father of Adulf de Hesdin was Helfred de Hesdin, born in 930, and in turn his father was Heynes Haymon de Hesdin born in the late 800s, probably between 880 and 890.
Finding confirmation of events so far back is very difficult, and I am only repeating what somebody else is claiming to be fact.
However, what they have found up to the date of Adulf de Hesdin matches pretty much what I discovered myself, so I am inclined to accept their findings going back to the year 880.
Putting names to the mothers and grandmothers is difficult too, as is confirmation of any type of marriage or jumping the broomstick!
Not to worry. I am still happy I have been able to trace my ancestors so far back they are almost lost in the realms of time.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, HRH Rab.

#50440 - 22/09/17 12:10 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I went to visit a cousin in Cockpen, a few miles from Edinburgh at the beginning of this week.
It was organised to coincide with a visit by my wee brother and an elderly aunt, so I loaded up the car with a suitable selection of whisky and Newton Stewart gin.
I did this because I introduced my cousin to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society when we last met at his mum’s funeral ten years ago.
He is still a member, and is close enough to Leith and the other Edinburgh premises to take advantage of their services.
I will not go into the list whiskies I took with me, mostly Martins but also a few others, and we supped and sipped our way through all them, plus a few my cuz pulled from a cupboard.
One he pulled from his cupboard halfway through the first evening was an SMWS bottling he plonked down and said I would probably enjoy.
A glance at the label showed it was SMWS 1, a Glenfarclas, and I instantly approved his choice, and poured a dram.
The sight and smell instantly drove me back to the label on the bottle. It was a 1.100, 36 year old sherry bomb at 47% abv bottled in 2002.
It was, without argument the finest bottle on the table, and over two nights, I indulged myself with no guilt whatsoever.
That particular bottling is changing hands at anything up to two grand a bottle, depending on where you look, and to have had the pleasure of pouring a glass or two over a couple of nights was a pleasure not too many will have enjoyed.
I did have the good manners to ask before I poured, but I think Mike was unaware he had planted a very exceptional bottle on the table, already opened I must say.
I had five glasses, moderate measures, with a dash of aqua, and it was a glorious dram.
It was a grand couple of days spent in good company, with a bonus of which I could never have dreamed.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, King Rab.

Page 131 of 133 < 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com