Page 132 of 133 < 1 2 130 131 132 133 >
Topic Options
#50443 - 29/09/17 11:53 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Whilst over in the Edinburgh area the other week, I tried on several occasions to demonstrate my new car’s anti-collision gizmo which locks onto the car in front and matches it’s speed and motion, and stops the car when the one in front stops.
I forgot that in the environs of Edinburgh, everyone breaks the speed limit and drives like lunatics.
Consequently, I never got close enough to the car in front for the Subaru Eyesight cameras to get a lock.
Such a shame. No matter, it works well here although the lane sway gizmo keeps warning me I have crossed a white line, hard not to do in this neck of the woods with narrow lanes.
On the whisky front, I informed my cousin his Glenfarclas was ultra expensive if unopened, so he was not too upset to find he had allowed me to slurp several drams of a two grand bottle!
Locally, the Wigtown Book Festival is nearing it’s end, and has provided an extra week of income for local businesses, including Cronie’s butcher shop, the font of all local knowledge.
He tells me many visitors will be going home with Scotch Pies and cooked meats they can’t get in Ingerrland.
Anyway, now that more than a million nosy parkers have looked at my rants and ramblings, I have proved a point debated by myself and a friend, so it may be time to really ‘give up’ but I probably won’t.
I enjoy using Raymond’s vehicle, and if I overstep the line, he tells me, in no uncertain terms.
So, all you buggers who claim to ignore me, we know you aren’t, you keep sneaking a peek, because most of you agree with my views which are not politically correct, but you are all afraid to say so.
Especially, the Twatties of this world.

You have my permission to retire, HRH , Rab.

#50446 - 04/10/17 10:42 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I had a word with my cousin in Cockpen about his very expensive Glenfarclas whisky. He tells me he and his wife only opened it a few months ago out of curiosity, and they thought it was very good. When he bought it many years ago from the SMWS, it was under £100, so he is being very philosophical about its current collectors’ value.
He will now keep what is left for people who appreciate fine whisky, and happily, I am on that list.
I also ordered some more West Cork whiskies from Drinkfinder in Cornwall, and will stick some on the visitor’s shelf. I prefer the rum finish myself, but their sweetness makes them quite samey. No matter, at the price they are great value.

Cheers, King Rab, Commander of the UK, and some of northern France.

#50451 - 13/10/17 12:11 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Oh dear, I could rant long and weary about the people on Question Time tonight, but I will restrict myself to annunciation and pronunciation.
I still shout at the television and radio broadcasters who refer to a kilometre as a ‘killommeter’.
If there were such a thing as a ‘killommeter’ by pronunciation, it would be a piece of machinery designed to measure weight.
However, 90 percent of UK broadcasters and half wits have chosen to use the Americanised pronunciation of kilometre, and constantly inflict it upon the enlightened, much to their exasperation.
So to, has been the pronunciation of ‘bombardier’.
OK, the company is French, and I won’t hold that against them as my ancestors were from northern France.
However, the UK pronunciation of ‘bombardier’ is phonetically ‘bombadeer, traditionally the poor corporal who had to plant a bomb at siege gates, knowing it could explode in his hands at any moment, or the bomb aimer in an aircraft during the second World War.
The company in Ireland may be French, but there are few instances of the Irish people using or adopting any pronunciation in place of something they use colloquially.
Bombardeeair is French, sounds French, and is not accepted English, so why on earth are people using it?
I cold witter on about Scottish/French word usage all night, but at least the Scots use the colloquial pronunciations.
Gigot of lamb in French is Cheegoh, but in Scots, its jigot. A plate in French is assiette, but a cooking dish for the oven in Scotland is an ashet, I could go on for hours.
My point is, why use unusual pronunciations instead of national utterance?

It will be outlawed on my succession to the throne.

HRH Rab.

#50452 - 13/10/17 09:29 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
ds47 Offline

Loc: County Durham
So, Rab, do you drink cog-nack and pie-nott grigg-eye-oh?

#50453 - 13/10/17 08:56 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Haha, touché, pronounced toosh in my early successful fencing days, but no, I never touch brandy or wine !

Cheers ‘n beers, HRH Rab.

#50455 - 13/10/17 11:14 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

My mention of fencing prompted a few memories. I became interested in fencing after moving to Birmingham in 1963, and joined Birmingham Fencing Club, now hailed as the oldest fencing club in the UK.
We met on Friday evenings in the Salle D’Armes at Birmingham University, and my initial coach was Les Johnston.
I remember the first night I joined the basic class. Following the introductory talk and history of fencing, Les ordered everyone to shape up as a boxer facing an opponent.
As the only southpaw in the line, Les informed the class I would be the best natural fencer of the group. Think about it. Not something which crosses your mind initially, but fencers lead with the right, just like southpaw boxers.
One of my visiting coaches was fencing master Professor Henri Faubert, the former maître d'armes at the École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr, a military academy in Paris.
He must have been in his 60s or 70s then, and although his footwork was slow, it didn’t matter as his blade work and hand speed was lightning fast.
I learned tricks from Maitre Henri Faubert, based on his static coaching style, which served me well in my competitive years.
When I went to Prestwick Fencing Club around 20 years ago, not having held a sword for 20 years, I was invited to join the Scottish Veterans after picking off their best fencers one by one, barely moving my feet. It is like riding a bike. You never forget it.
I wish I had carried on fencing, I would be a damned site fitter than I am right now!
My natural success as a fencer must have been a throwback to my ancestors from Hesdin in northern France hehehe.

En garde, Maitre Robert.

#50456 - 18/10/17 11:35 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I thought the TV companies had reached their limit with sexual deviant story lines, but no.
Emmerdale, an imaginary farming community with more deviants than sheep, is promoting the notion that deviant sex is normal, and surprise, surprise, one of the actresses at the heart of the plot is a deviant.
I have said for many years that the television studios and the theatres in the UK have used ‘the arts’ to promote their deviant cause, but the latest Emmerdale story line crosses the line with the script and dialogue promoting same sex liaisons.
This is a deliberate attempt to sublimate the viewing public that deviant sex is normal. Well read the news, deviant sex is not normal. If deviants want to engage in what they get up to behind closed doors, fine, I have no problem with that.
I do have a problem with television soaps promoting, and advocating deviant sex as OK. It isn’t.
We have now reached the stage where MPs are winning seats because they are deviant, and the numbnuts who believe their propaganda believe they are being liberal by voting for them.
The latest television soaps including Coronation Street have exceeded the bounds of normality. Their imaginary locations have more deviants than normal heterosexuals, and that is not what the real world is like.
If the deviant cause was not shoved down the throats of the normal people via television programmes, I would not write posts such as this.
When I become ruler of Europe and the rest of the world, I will restrict such overt deviant campaigns to privately viewed media, not public TV.
I wish !

HRH King Rab, champion of the normal people.

#50457 - 22/10/17 07:50 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Oh dear. Did you ever see anything so tacky as the opening introductions of the American Grand Prix?
They reduced it to an awful circus … such as only America can do.
As they say in the U.S of A, enough already !

HRH Rab.

#50461 - 01/11/17 12:17 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I am currently astounded at the news coverage relating to ‘fixed odd betting machines’ hitting the news in Scotland today.
I have never seen one, I have no idea how they work, and that is why I amazed at the fuss generated about limiting how much anyone can bet at any one time.
To me, a gamble is taking a chance that you will win, or you will lose, 50 – 50, even money.
When machines and electronics are involved, those odds can be altered in a mini-second, so anyone using them must be aware before using them, that they are more likely to lose than win.
People become addicted to betting, not winning, not losing, just the thrill of waiting for the outcome of their wager.
This is evident by the fact that winners most often wager their profits on another bet and lose, then, they start all over again.
The problem lies not with the bet takers. It lies solely with those who want to bet or wager.
To ban bookmakers, horse racing and fixed odd betting machines is not the answer. For every betting addict who loses their family and life, there are millions of people who have an odd time bet, win, and walk away with a wee profit, or lose a shilling.
I have a wee splash on a sweep for a national event, that is the extent I get to these days, but the only real betting I ever did was on cards I was holding across a table from other people I knew.
Betting, like all other forms of leisure and entertainment is all about control.
People who cannot exercise self control are exploited by money makers who offer the chance of big money, and that is the way of the world.
If governments legislate and outlaw controlled gambling, the addicts will find other ways to satisfy their mental failure. And, there will always be a bookie on hand to offer them odds that their bet could be a winner.
Go to any pub, and I bet you will hear people betting they are right, and someone else is wrong, that is what people do.
The people who lose their families and lives by betting and losing time and time again, are ill and they need treatment.
Massaging the betting regulations will not cure them, and will spoil the enjoyment of those who enjoy spontaneous leisure bets.
The Hungerford massacre led to the regulation of hand guns which affected genuine sports participants all over the UK.
Using hammers to crack walnuts does not work.
Rant over … for now.

King Rab.

#50463 - 03/11/17 01:17 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

It was gratifying to watch on Question Time tonight, the audience openly laughing at Lezbia Gubdale openly contradicting her own views of different questions.
The first question, as expected was about ‘male politicians sexually abusing females.’
A prominent MP has resigned because he touched a woman reporter on the knee ten years ago.
Former Labour leader Lezbia agreed with the other sheep and condemned the man completely on the grounds it wasn’t the touch, it was the intention, or perceived intention which was objectionable.
A few minutes later, the question of the Scottish Government’s support for a bill to criminalise parents who strike their children as a form of chastisement was raised.
The bold Lezbia declared her controlled opposition to the bill, saying it was OK for parent to ‘tap their children on the bum’ just minutes after agreeing it was not OK for a man to touch a woman on the knee.
The audience immediately reacted, and the backtracking was embarrassing to watch.
If touching a woman on the knee ten years ago is now construed as a sexual attack, surely tapping your child on the bum could be viewed as an act of incestuous sexual abuse under the same reasoning?
This is PC nonsense being taken to an extreme which is not acceptable or responsible.
It was also gratifying to see Edwina Currie ripping Harriet Harman to pieces on the same subject a few minutes later on This Week.
I will not make reference to the other deviant on the QT panel, the travelling pullover.

Feel free to pull your forelocks, HRH Rab.

Page 132 of 133 < 1 2 130 131 132 133 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com