Page 66 of 133 < 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 132 133 >
Topic Options
#48334 - 06/12/14 11:04 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Our local boxing club, Bravehearts ABC have had a good weekend. Tyler Jolly, Scottish champion, captained the Scottish team against England Merseyside in Glasgow today and won his bout.
And my next door neighbour’s lad, Kian Carnochan, finally got the monkey off his back with a win in his bout in the Dumbarton club contest
In his last three scoring bouts, Kian lost all three on split decisions away from home, and tonight, he won on a split decision against a lad who has been a Scottish junior champion, Western District champion and local area champion.
Losing three fights on the bounce at the age of 14 would have been enough to demoralise any boxer, but Kian dug in, trained hard, and it paid off with this split decision against a far more experienced boxer, who probably expected an easy win.
Whithorn is maybe a ‘wee toon’ but coaches Willie Martin and Tom Jolly have made it a ‘big toon’ on the boxing map.
Cheers, Rab

#48339 - 08/12/14 06:41 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well I have to hand it to Masters of Malt as far a delivery is concerned. I called them last Friday afternoon, and my parcel was delivered by Parcel Force before I left the house this morning to head over to Creetown to pick up my order there.
In the box were two Glencadam 14 year olds at 46% abv finished in Oloroso Casks, an Edradour Caledonia 12 year old at 46% abv, two Glendronach Old Revival sherried 15 year olds at 46% abv and a bottle of Yamazaki Distiller’s Reserve single malt at 43% abv.
Will be sampling Martin’s sherried 8 year old Tomatin later tonight, and will post my personal tasting notes.
In addition to bottling, and blending (that’s another story), and fitting new windows, Martin and Jane are working hard getting Christmas orders out and packing up thousands of miniatures.
Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab

#48346 - 10/12/14 10:57 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

As I have said I will not watch Question Time this week, I will have a wee early rant regarding the accusations against the CIA, and those who are making them.
Following 9/11, the US President said that all means would be used to bring an end to terrorism on the American homeland, and the world rejoiced.
Now that the methods which may, or may not, have been used prosecute that promise, have been alleged, there is now much public beating of breasts and cries of horror.
What did those people think Bush meant?
He would pursue them through the courts?
He would ask them to stop as the American people didn’t like it?
What was horrific was the public death of around 4,000 of their compatriots who had no chance to argue their right to live or die.
It happened, in a split second for some, and an agonising hour or more for others.
The people of the USA, and the UK too, demand protection from those who would inflict indiscriminate death and destruction upon them for an ideal they do not comprehend.
Is it then not right for the protectors of those people to use means some may find deplorable and unacceptable to ensure those people, including the protestors against the CIA, are not blown to pieces by reactionaries.
Utopia has a price, and those who demand Utopia must accept it doesn’t come cheap.
Back to the sipping shelf.
Cheers, Rab.

#48353 - 14/12/14 12:21 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Just back from my first night out in a pub for at least two and a half years, and although it was to support the Bravehearts Amateur Boxing Club, I wish I hadn’t bothered.
It was noisy, it was uncomfortable and all my clothes will have to be bashed into the washing machine first thing in the morning.
I reek of everyone else’s splash it on all over, manky perfume and stale farts.
In retrospect, maybe smoke filled pubs were not as bad as I remembered.
They disguised all the aforementioned smells!
Add to that the whisky was awful, I only won one race and the auction race my pal and I bid on and lost, won …. £140 for the high bidder.
It is nice to be home and drink good whisky, and I think the next fund raiser will be a miss and I will just donate £50 and be done with it.
On the other hand, it was nice to be greeted in the pub as a long lost relative by people I see almost every other day in the street.
We live in a strange world eh?
Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

Edited by Wee Rab (14/12/14 12:49 AM)

#48354 - 14/12/14 11:06 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
The pubs that are left are not to good are they. We had the golden age but did not know it at the time.

#48376 - 18/12/14 10:26 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Wee Rab Offline

The cut off delivery dates set by the on-line whisky shops are being stretched to the never-ending limits of a DHS Furniture sale.
They way they are bombarding me with e-mails right now beggars belief.
Every day, the delivery deadline moves on another day, and I am waiting for the ultimate, an e-mail telling me if I order by Boxing Day, it will arrive in time for Christmas! Which Christmas?
Was in at the supermarkets in Stranraer, and was not impressed with their festive offerings at all.
Saw on television that a Balvenie was on sale in Sainsburys at £27, but they just cannot compete with the on-line shops and traders who are picking up interesting casks and bottling them at cask strength, at reasonable prices.
Not to worry, my sipping shelf is very healthy right now, and will be much improved tomorrow .. I hope.
Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#48413 - 26/12/14 09:36 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Whilst I have great sympathy for the people who may lose their livelihoods due to City Link going in to administration, I am not surprised it has happened.
The home delivery business is packed to overcrowding with white van men getting their own vans liveried up with the logos of the company which pay them a pittance to race from house to house dropping pre-filled cards through the letter boxes stating they are: “Sorry we missed you.”
City Link, which has been around for some considerable time, is now owned by an investment company, but even in its earliest days, in gained the nick-name Shitty Link, for many good reasons.
I remember one particular incident many years ago, when computer chips and memory cost an arm and a leg, a far cry from prices today.
At that time, Janet’s hobby was building computers, and re-populating off the peg mother boards with alternative chips and memory sets, to increase the speed and capacity.
We ordered several hundreds of pounds worth of chips and memory from Kingston in America, and it duly arrived in the UK, for delivery to us by City Link.
We both worked all day, and consequently the delivery drivers usually found a neighbour with whom to leave our parcels.
City Link however used an alternative to finding a neighbour. They would look for a secure place on the recipient’s property, and leave a card with a telephone number.
When you called the number, whoever answered would ask for the parcel code number on the card, and then tell the caller where the driver had securely left their parcel.
On arriving home, I found the aforementioned card, and duly called to enquire where the driver had securely left my hundreds of quids worth of computer bits.
The reply was: “Under the largest of the rhubarb leaves growing at the fence in your back garden.”
I telephoned City Link to complain, I wrote several letter to them, and the closest to an explanation or apology was that I had in fact taken safe delivery of my goods, so their system worked.
I am sure there are thousand of people who have similar stories relating to City Link, and the other delivery companies, especially Yodel, but that is another story.
I am fortunate here in Whithorn, as our local white van man is the end of the line for many major delivery companies, and he is reliable, and can be seen delivering in the area at all times of the day and night.
Cheers, Rab.

#48415 - 26/12/14 11:57 AM Re: I finally give up [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
You're right Rab about the white van men working for a pittance, particularly in Dumfries and Galloway where the delivery distances are considerable and roads poor. (If I remember correctly they get about £1.30 per parcel). Despite the long hours, high fuel and maintainance costs on old vehicles, anytime I spoke to them they were always cheerful but anytime they got a more profitable contract it was usually altered to their disadvantage. There was a period when Martin's parcels going out from the warehouse he rents at Stranraer was improving their income. The courier's depot was in the next unit so it was real handy for both parties. They are also very obliging in terms of amending their pick up times etc.

#48416 - 26/12/14 01:58 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Raymondo]
Johnny Norfolk Offline

Loc: Norfolk England
We have many deliveries due to where we live and I can say i cannot fault any of the drivers. They do their best without any help from their management. Its a cut throat business that has grown over the years and only the vey strong survive. I know i worked in it for a time with Tibbett & Britten, but thats another story.

#48419 - 26/12/14 04:45 PM Re: I finally give up [Re: Johnny Norfolk]
Grant Offline

Loc: Stonehaven
And yet the dissolution of the post office and loss of universal service is seen as a good thing

As ever "aye, right" comes to mind

As ever it's only greed that drives , and the working man that suffers , with late delivery or wages that should shame the payer , but they appear to be proud

Page 66 of 133 < 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 132 133 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com