Page 113 of 114 < 1 2 111 112 113 114 >
Topic Options
#50365 - 04/06/17 12:32 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]
Jolly Toper Online   content

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
Jolly Toper Whisky tasting 15.6.17 7:30pm £20 Edinburgh

Next tasting: - at the Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, Royal Mile, Edinburgh, £20 :-

Ledaig Signatory 2005 cask strength sherry cask

Mystery dram

Another then-and-now taste-off: a single malt bottled at the same age and strength but 20 years apart

Something else - retail price around £100 hopefully, rare, unusual and old

#50372 - 12/06/17 07:54 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Well, the super rare drams continue - I've just been offered a bottle of Garnheath 26yo single grain from the long closed Moffat complex. Too good an opportunity to turn down but ticket price will go up to £23 as it broke the budget somewhat. I believe only 14 casks of this whisky have ever been bottled.

#50373 - 12/06/17 08:16 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

I'd like to acquire a bottle of Glen Ord 12yo for a tasting but I think it can only be got at the distillery - if anyone is going could they do me a favour and get a bottle - I work on Edinburgh's Royal Mile - or perhaps posting could be an option.

Cheers

#50374 - 13/06/17 09:41 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

So since the Garnheath came on the scene the menu was a bit lopsided towards light. I've decided to take out one of the 3 mystery drams in exchange for the freshly released new sherry cask NAS Bunnahabhain. Many thanks to the right. Honourable Sir Neil of Hamilton for muleing this back from Islay (even if we do actually stock it in the shop, it was a lovely thought).

#50376 - 14/06/17 08:49 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

In a further chapter of this saga another bottle has popped up. I got the Ledaig for a small private tasting but with 20 people coming to this tasting I need more liquid than is left in the Ledaig, although there are more in the shop but as my colleague Neil took a limited cask strength port cask Finlaggan back from Islay I thought there could a choice of final dram....

#50384 - 19/06/17 08:13 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Next tasting: A close look at the current and past range from Dewars and their key distillery Aberfeldy:- the current 12yo Dewars compared to one from 25 years ago, the contemporary 12yo Aberfeldy and one from about 15 years ago, then today's 16yo and 21yo Aberfeldy: £20. 7:30pm Thursday 6th July The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, Edinburgh.

#50414 - 03/08/17 11:31 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

Eek! Where has the last 6 weeks gone?! The festival kicks of here in Edinburgh tomorrow so my heid will be down with the usual full-on fervour August brings. Sigh.

A quick resume of past tastings:-

The Dewars vertical went well with the old and new blends and 12yo Aberfeldys finding a pleasing almost 50-50 split in which one was best. The 21yo official bottling stole my heart however the 16yo took the popular vote.

Staying with Dewars:-

I can highly recommend this:-

Whisky on Water https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/scotch-egg-club-presents-whisky-on-water

I've hosted a few similar excursions so when I was in the 'audience' last night it was interesting to see it from a 'punter's' perspective. I knew the relaxed passage passed parks and blossoming gardens was an enjoyable aspect of the trip but I didn't fully appreciate just how pleasant the gentle journey is.

The hosts are on top of their game with Jamie from Solid Liquids very experienced in such things while Craig Johnston has a unique perspective having worked with the likes of Glenkinchie the SMWS, Bruichladdich and has just returned from managing a distillery in Tasmania. The combination of his wit and production/history wisdom is a real joy.

The drams are all from the Dewars so a nice combination of styles from their distilleries as well as their main blend. The tone is light with some quality nibbles and games to break up the chat. The ticket also includes some offers at Royal Mile Whiskies and Akva bar which is handy for a post-cruise pint.

The walking tour (which had to be essentially a private party to stay on side of the licensing laws) was likewise a success but perhaps not as good as the first one due to the weather and the route/quality of sites. We started at Lochrin basin (where the barge sails from) the Haigs had an early and significant distillery there but not sign of it remains. We had a taste of a 1970s bottled Haig to mark the spot - we all agreed the unique style was a winner. A stroll through the Meadows took us to the site of Borroughloch brewery which remains pretty intact and is converted to residences. Here we had a distillery only Glenkinchie which was fine but nothing too special. After this we visit the location of Sciennes distillery which was owned by the Ushers that are broadly credited with creating the first brands of blends. Most - or even all of the site was cleared a few decades ago for functional looking flats, it is hard to prove that some buildings that certainly look like they date to the period of the distillery actually are at all related. Here we had a rather splendid 20yo 46% Glen Grant from Edinburgh Whisky Ltd. Next we stopped at the site on the proposed new distillery - The Engine Shed. So named as it was just such a thing servicing trains when the area was a depot next to Ushers vast maturation and malting site which again has all but been cleared for development. We had the dram of the day here - a 28yo Caledonian grain from Whisky Broker. Finally we strolled down to behind the Holyrood Palace where clearly a malting floor and pagoda still stand. Currently used as a workshop for Historic Scotland what we are seeing was last used by St. Ann's brewery which was converted from the Croft-an-righ distillery. Here we enjoyed another Edinburgh Whisky Ltd bottling - their Surgeon's Ball peaty vatted malt at 46% which I fancy has some Ardmore in it - currently my dram of choice at home. A video review of the walking tour and Dewars tasting has recently been posted on the Jolly Toper Facebook page if you're interested.

The next tasting will be at the National Trust for Scotland site Culross Palace in Fife, an amazing example of 16th/17th/18th century life, so fortunately saved from destruction in the 1930. Tickets from The NTS website.

Cheers

#50416 - 06/08/17 01:46 PM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

I've sorted out the dates for the next season of tastings:-

Thursday 31st August 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Finlaggan Islay single malt Feis Ile 2017 portwood finish 700 bottles 900 bottles 55%

Perhaps another 'then and now' comparison - two versions of the same single malt bottled about 20 years apart: is the old or new better? What's the difference(s), if any?

Another 2 drams tbc
Thursday 31st August 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Thursday 21st September 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Thursday 12th October 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Thursday 2nd November 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Thursday 23rd November 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

Thursday 14th December 7:30pm The Kilderkin, 65 Canongate, £tbc

I'm hoping to do more vertical tastings: short listed so far - Benromach, Benriach, Glengoyne, Knockdhu. More then and now tasting too. As usual the skeleton of dates will get fleshed out as time rolls on.

Remember if you're coming to Edinburgh as a group and need a personalised tasting - I'm yer man.

#50417 - 16/08/17 10:03 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

When a friend of mine asked if I'd host a tasting in an old brewery I wasn't going to say no - Saturday 26th August £15.

A Royal Mile Whiskies tasting in the 16th century 'palace' - a treasure from the past, wonderfully rich in history and situated in the picturesque West Fife coastal village.

The tasting will include a sample of a blend, single grain, single malt, a malt influenced by maturation in an ex-sherry cask then a peaty dram. We'll talk about whisky history and production, the presentation style will aim to balance education and entertainment.

National Trust for Scotland https://www.nts.org.uk/Event/20014005072/adoubleshotofspiritsatthepalace

#50418 - 17/08/17 10:01 AM Re: Edinburgh/Canongate Regular Tastings [Re: Leither]

A wee update:-

We'll be trying: Tomatin 18yo, Arran Sauternes, Chivas Extra, Ballantruan and a grain - probably Strathcolm.

Page 113 of 114 < 1 2 111 112 113 114 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com