Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#50328 - 19/04/17 11:23 PM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Well Grant, as ever, your words of wisdom are pretty much on the head of the nail. You should try and arrange to visit when there is a scheduled Whithorn international tasting.
I bumped into Yolanda this afternoon, and she revealed she has not touched a drop of whisky since here services at Bladnoch ceased. She is dramming on brandy and gin, and looking forward to the production of Newton Stewart mother’s ruin.
Only a couple of days now until the Canadian Shebeen Crew arrive.
We have switched the Friday night tasting to Saturday night, as Bhupendra fasts on a Friday, and he will be bringing his port finished bottles for consideration.
I can’t wait to see how the Shebeen scoring system works with that dram!
Roll on Friday.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, King Rab of Britain.

#50329 - 23/04/17 07:34 PM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Wee Rab Offline

Well, a wild whisky weekend was enjoyed by everyone who visited Whithorn.
Dave Nalepa and his wife Donna, Graeme McKenzie, Jon and Vikki Trueman, Bhupendra and Ashok.
Over two nights, a total of 30 individual whiskies were sampled, and 24 new bottles were uncorked.
As usual, Jon turned up with a selection from the weird to the wonderful. The weird was a bottle of three year old Gold Cock Red Feather at 40% abv from the House of R. Jelinek, established by appointment of His Majesty Prince Vilem of the Czech Replublic !
The wonderful included a hand filled bottle of Deanston. 11 years old, sherry matured and bottled at 60.1% abv; an 8 year old sherry matured Springbank Society bottling at 57.2% abv; an NAS Gerston at 43% abv from the Lost Distillery Company; a Method and Madness single pot still Irish sherry finished from Midleton, and an NAS Glenglassaugh Peated at 44% abv.
Canadian bottles included NAS Lot No. 401 Rye at 43% and an NAS Crown Royal Northern Harvest at 45% abv.
Others sampled over the weekend were an NAS Westport finished in an Oloroso Octave at 47.4%; a 15 year old Macduff at 46%; a 16 year old Dailuaine F&F at 43%; 25 year old Tamnavulin at 51%; an 8 year old Bladnoch from a Seguin Moreau wine cask at 43%; two sister cask bottles of 15 year old Bowmore at 52.5 %; a 7 year old Ardmore from an Islay cask at 55.9%; an NAS Mortlach Rare Old at 43.4%; a 4 year old Ailsa Bay first batch at 48.9%; an NAS Spey Tenne port matured at 46%; a 10 year old Glen Breton Ice at 57.2%; an NAS Redbreast Lustau Edition at 46%; an NAS Glen Scotia Double Cask at 46%; four different 25 year Cambus single grains from sherry casks ranging from 52.7% to 64.2%; Bhupendra’s home port tub finished vatted malts at around 51% and the same vatted malt prior to post tub finishing.
I have no idea how long it will take to finish off what is left, but every dram will bring back memories of two wonderful nights in King Robert’s kitchen.
We also managed to drink about 10 bottles of Harrogate Still Water and a dozen packets of Howdah Indian snacks.
Looking forward to the next Canadian invasion already!

Cheers ‘n’ beers, HRH Wee Rab.

#50331 - 24/04/17 08:29 PM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Wee Rab Offline

Whoops, forgot we also tried the Nikka Samurai Gold & Gold at 43% abv. It was a Japanese airport duty free bottle with full metal armour and helmet. I opened it because the metal screw-top seal was allowing ullage, so it was better in my glass than thin air.

Cheers, Rab.

#50334 - 25/04/17 08:13 AM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Grant Offline

Loc: Stonehaven
Ullage, one of my favourite words , along with pandiculation , and susseration !

#50335 - 26/04/17 02:08 PM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Wee Rab Offline

Well Grant, I am counting us quits now, following the Graip – Grape spelling incident :o)).
I had to look up one of your favourite words as you spelled it incorrectly. I am sure you knew all along it is ‘sussuration.’
There is a school playground joke I remember asking ‘why do women engage in pandiculation when they get out of bed in the morning?’
Answers on a postcard please.

Cheers HRH Rab.

#50339 - 10/05/17 12:04 PM Re: Speyside Whisky Festival 2017 [Re: Dave N]
Dave N Online   content

Loc: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Cana...
Well we arrived back home on Thursday safe and sound, albeit a raging head cold. I'd like to thank Rab and Janet for the hospitality shown to us during our visit. We had a grand trip to Islay for 4 days and then 5 days in Speyside for the festival. A final overnite trip to Thurso and a tour of Wolfburn.
I arrived back home with 12 full bottles, 1 500ml, 2-250ml, and a handful of miniatures. Also a half dozen Glencairn glasses from the tours. None broken:-))
Slainte

Dave N

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com