Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50240 - 04/02/17 03:44 PM Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar
Jolly Toper Offline

Loc: East Calder, West Lothian, Sco...
So a new year and a new program of tastings. The clear theme is a look at some of the new producers:-

Arbiki Monday 20.02.17 8pm £10 Royal Mile Whiskies

Eden Mill Friday 24.02.17 7:30pm £15 DrinkMonger

Strathearn distillery Monday 06.03.17 8pm £10 Royal Mile Whiskies

Dornoch distillery Tuesday 07.03.17 8pm £10 Royal Mile Whiskies

New Irish distillers Tuesday 14.13.17 8pm £10 DrinkMonger

Royal Mile Whiskies events

#50244 - 11/02/17 02:09 AM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Wee Rab Online   content

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Hi Mark,
Having spent three nights trying to buy whisky from your company, I gave up and spent my £260 with the Spirits Embassy, formerly Single Malts Direct, a name I much preferred.
I e-mailed RMW and explained my login didn’t work, and every time I got to paying for my order, I was bumped back to my purchase basket.
I listed my order, and requested a telephone call to complete the order by telephone, but all I got was an e-mail the following morning telling me that your telephone system was incompatible with my BT ‘phone, try again and if it didn’t work, get in touch.
I did try once more, and finally gave up. I had similar problems the last time I placed an order from RMW, and the same excuse was proffered at the time. The new web site couldn’t import log-ins and passwords because confidentiality laws etcetera.
Please tell your colleagues that selling your whisky requires a minimum of effort and communication.
Sorry to post this on your most enjoyable tastings thread, but I do not ‘Tweet’ or do the ‘Facebook’ thing.

Rab.

#50245 - 11/02/17 10:33 AM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
alabaster cheeks Offline

Loc: yorkshire
Why did you not just renew your login details ..... 3 minutes at most

#50246 - 12/02/17 12:10 AM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Wee Rab Online   content

Alas, I fear you have completely missed the point Alabaster.
On the previous occassion when I was unable to check out, I re-registered, and still was unable to pay.
I attempted to pay as a guest, and still was unsuccessful.
After spending more of my money on telephone calls to RMW, I was eventually given a new login and password, and completed my order.
All this was done by expense free e-mail from their side, unless I called them.
Then, as now, they have a telephone which cannot make outgoing calls, and a web site which will not allow you to pay for whisky.
I do not know what is wrong with their web site, and I do not know what is wrong with their telephone.
I have attempted to put money in their till, I even e-mailed my list of required whisky and requested a telephone call to give them a debit card number.
Even the log in and password they gave me last time around would not work, and had I re-registered it would have made no difference as even as a guest I could not check out.
I am sure RMW are big enough to defend themselves, or comment on the problem I am experiencing, although they may appreciate your intervention on their behalf.

Rab.

#50247 - 13/02/17 06:30 PM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
alabaster cheeks Offline

Loc: yorkshire
Ah then you did right.... The best service I've had is with greener lot
How's the mini barrel maturation going

#50248 - 13/02/17 10:03 PM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Eek! Mr Rab & Cheeks: I've been on holididdlys and not been up to speed with posts as well as I might so apologies for slow response. Your news is alarming - I will report it as soon as I can - (tomorrow).

#50249 - 14/02/17 09:33 PM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Hello again Wee Rab and thanks again for taking the time to report your experience. Happily my colleagues are successfully attending to solutions

Staying on the topic of technical difficulties It seems I'm unable to send private messages on Raymond's site - I wonder if that option has been disabled for all users or just myself - anyone know about this?

#50250 - 15/02/17 01:36 AM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Wee Rab Online   content

My sincere thanks Mark, for your ministrations on my behalf.
I hope the electronic glitches are now under control.
One can only guess how many people fell foul of the electronics, never to return!
Once again, my apologies for usurping your tasting thread.

Regards, Wee Rab.

PS, I believe the PMs were stopped when the site went to Raymond's control following the administration.

#50278 - 08/03/17 06:35 PM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

Further progress is being made with the RMW website and we're all very hopeful everything will be just so in the very near future.

Beyond that a wee update with the inshore events:-

So last night we had a nice mix of regulars, first timers and on-trade staff to hear about and try some experimental gin recipes from Dornoch as well as some of the associated hotel's private bottlings and a dram which illustrates the hotel bar's truly unique selection.

Simon and Phil talked us through the journey to date of how they turned a dream into something that could be poured and tasted. There was similarities and differences with the previous night's tasting of Strathearn distillery's gins, whisky and other spirits - the tales of crowd funding, adventures in the still room, setbacks and successes were all very engaging and it was great to here of the pair's experiences and enthusiasm. The two gin samples we tried (both neat and mixed with tonic) showed more and less intensity and the boys talked us through how these differences were affected by tweeks in the production process.

Topics varied from yeast strains, heritage barley varieties, equipment, production methods and a general overview of their philosophy. Details of the reasons behind going organic and aversion to the use of plastic during production and storage were most illuminating.

The boys explained they were fast approaching fulfilling the requisite quantity of gin to fulfil the promises to the crowd funding circle and will soon be embarking on the 'hardcore' production of whisky spirit.

We turned to a couple of examples of the Hotel's own bottlings- a very fine Glenrothes (elderly and suitably mellow) followed by a great 43yo example of the local grain distillery - Invergordon. We finished with a glass of 1970s bottles Tullibardine, which would be one of many such aged bottlings to be found in the hotel bar, very attractively priced given the prevailing rate of such bottles at auction.

All-in-all it was grand night of chat and drams. Having known the Thomsons for a few years now and visited the hotel a number of times it is very easy to recommend their services and I wait patiently wait to try their first whisky - it is hard to think of a better example of how much whisky can get under your skin than these two and their hotel and now distillery.

The next tasting will be on 14th of March and will focus on new Irish whisky releases - both from new and old companies. Details to follow.

#50285 - 11/03/17 06:08 PM Re: Royal Mile Whiskies & Drinkmonger tastings Feb/Mar [Re: Jolly Toper]
Jolly Toper Offline

So this coming Tuesday (14th March 8pm £10) Royal Mile Whiskies' exploration of new companies, distilleries and brands continues with a look at Ireland.

It's exciting times with a level of production and variety that's not been seen for a lifetime. Hopefully this positive start to the next chapter in the Irish story continues on this note which is happier than the previous instalment of closures and shrinkage.

There will be a single malt from Glendalough as well as some of their 60% poitin, something from Liberties, the new blend from Diageo: Roe & Co. as well as the latest extension to the Redbreast family - the Lustau sherry cask finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com