Topic Options
#50211 - 31/12/16 02:12 AM update requested on Whisky School efforts
John from PA Offline

Loc: Downingtown PA (USA)
It has been quite some time since visiting this forum.

I was an attendee of the Bladnoch Whisky School (#2 as I recall) that distilled on 19 January 2002. Can anyone fill me in on the status of the whisky made through the efforts of the whisky school attendees?

John from PA

#50212 - 31/12/16 10:44 AM Re: update requested on Whisky School efforts [Re: John from PA]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi John,
nice to hear from you again, the forum has been much quieter than previously. I'm sure you will have heard the sorry saga of the end of my involment im Bladnoch. The new owner has invested a lot of money in renovating the distillery and has made some very big changes. He of course got all the whisky except for seventy or eighty casks owned by private individuals and others who owned a tenth share. The new owners didn't wish to store anyone's cask beyond the contracted rent free period of 8 years and asked (what I considered) quite a hefty rent for anyone wishing to retain their cask at Bladnoch. Most owners transferred their barrels to the bonded warehouse of my son Martin at nearby Creetown(www.whiskybroker.co.uk) probably because his rental charge was modest and possibly because being close by he met the small cost of the transportation. It also helped that he was able to bottle the casks and quite a few people chose to bottle rather than mature for further years. In any case it wasn't pleasant but I believe the whisky was. There was a Bladnoch cask owners website opened at the time, I'll look it up for you if you haven't seen it.
Happy New Year

#50216 - 03/01/17 07:57 PM Re: update requested on Whisky School efforts [Re: John from PA]
John from PA Offline

Loc: Downingtown PA (USA)
Raymond,

I hope you had a good CVhristmas and New Year!

Thanks for your response and Yes, I became aware of the changes when I opened an old link and got to the new website.

I wonder since cask "owners" were able to acquire and remove their whisky does this perhaps mean that the Whisky School casks still remain on the Bladnoch property? I see by the website an "Adela" at 15 years age. The Whisky School #2 spirit was from January 2002 so that whisky would be coming up on 14 years. Perhaps I will attempt to make contacts to see if any of the WS whisky will be bottled, and perhaps when. Maybe it is time for the "Wild Scotsman" to buy up some of the "school" spirit and bottle it at 15 years.

Thanks,
John

#50217 - 04/01/17 11:10 AM Re: update requested on Whisky School efforts [Re: John from PA]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi John
Although John and Hugh are still there I think that many people will feel that Bladnoch is now a very different place. It has a new and talented management team who have been very busy with renovation and modernisation.
There's a wee saying, "Old friends are best". I'm not sure the value that is placed on past friends and customers but I hope you get a positive response.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com