Topic Options
#50088 - 17/10/16 05:49 PM Whisky, whiskey and Rum
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
I'm going to involve myself again in some alcohol business and perhaps surprisingly I propose to start with some RUM, something about which I know little.
This offer is to be made to forum members. As regards value for money, I hope it will be OK, but a sceptic is entitled to think that this is an attempt at exploitation on my part.
It may not be easy to seduce whisky drinkers to rum, more difficult than trying to seduce Scotch whisky drinkers over to Irish whiskey, which I'd never do, unless I happened to have a cask.
What I do have for lovers of single MALT whisky is some 29 yo old GRAIN whisky which again will be offerred to forum members assuming that there are still some of you out there.
Again I think that although you are unlikely to regard it as cheap it should represent good value for money. Hopefully the week pound will help to make it attractive to those of you in the eurozone. However there is nobody better than a customer to decide that.
I've also bought some casks of younger whisky and again I'll try to encourage some forum participation, maybe even forum growth, with the ultimate goal of persuading you to part with hard earned cash. On offer are some tenth shares in a few barrels of a decent brand of malt whisky priced at £150.
Details to follow.
If you want whole casks (though not of this particular brand) then naturally I recommend you go to my son Martin's site of www.whiskybroker.co.uk

#50121 - 28/10/16 05:34 PM Re: Whisky, whiskey and Rum [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

#50124 - 30/10/16 05:17 PM Re: Whisky, whiskey and Rum [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

I've been selecting a cask of Demerera Jamaican rum and I'm thinking of opting for a Dec 1999 Uitvlugt, pronounced I think iflut. This barrel was apparently one of the last produced before the distillery closed in 2000. A lost rum distillery probably doesn't have the same marketing applomb as a lost malt distillery especially if it was intended that the rum should be blended (and possibly should have been) rather than sold as I propose as a single cask bottling, but I mention the fact in case any of you know even less than I.
The barrel is No. 18 of rotation 00V87. It contains just 72 litres of alcohol and the strength when gauged a couple of months ago was 60.1% It should yield about 170 bottles.
The barrel also includes the letters MPM(PM) I'm told that the rum was distilled in quite a famous Port Morant wooden potstill. I'll try tasting it a few more times and unless I change my mind it will be distilled in early Dec when it becomes 17 yo

#50179 - 18/11/16 04:07 PM Re: Whisky, whiskey and Rum [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

I came across this interesting article on rum production when trying to establish what the undermentioned letters stood for on some rum casks.
Barbados rum BBR (BRS)
Guyana Rum MDXC and MPM(PM)
Belize Rum SFBT

http://www.cocktailsoldfashioned.de/2011/02/demerara-distillers-limited-guyana-rum/

#50196 - 16/12/16 02:21 PM Re: Whisky, whiskey and Rum [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

Got a useful reply from Ian Burrell on Facebook to a query on some of the unique barrel numbers for rum.
Ian A V Burrell HI Raymond Armstrong.....MDXC is the 1990 Enmore (Marque) (Wooden Coffey Still) , MPM PM is a combination of 2 different profiles of rums from the Port Mourant double wooden pot still, WIRD is from The West Indies Rum Distillery in Barbados and the SFBT from Belize is their triple column still.

https://barrel-aged-mind.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_5.html

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com