Topic Options
#50013 - 31/08/16 07:41 PM Holidays
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Thanks to those of you who pointed out that there was scam on the website ...... Selling shoes or something. I don't seem to be able to vet the membership. I'll ask Camy to see if he can reinstall the original system ..... You may remember a few years back the forum was being invaded by unsavoury promotions.

Florence and I have been on holidays in Germany and France. The holiday was delightful but the temperature atrociously warm .... Usually up to 34 c. In Germany we went down a little bit of the Rhein from Bonn to Koblenz and in France visited the Somme. Also visited a place called Epicurie or something like that, where the V1 and V2 rockets where launched. The scale of the place is very impressive and well worth a visit. Stopped off at a corn distillery somewhere in France but we were scared off by a couple of very aggressive dogs, fortunately penned. It's great to be a tourist sometimes because it lets you see what is a good reception and a bad one. We took a boat trip in the Marais of St Omer in Northern France and it was a very enjoyable hour with a friendly bi-lingual guide describing the multitude of flora and fauna. I had also the chance to speak at length to an elderly German soldier at the museum at "The Bridge at Remagen" (a book made into a 1960's film.) The bridge collapsed in March 1945 plunging 30 American soldiers to their death. The old guy had joined the German army in 1944 near the end of the war. I forgot to ask if he had been a member of the Hitler youth. At the time I was interested in knowing how as a patriot, he felt immediately after the surrender. He did comment that he had just looked around at the total devastation and wanted to move on with his life. Time moves on and the opportunity to speak to those involved is removed by the Grim Reaper. Those who fought often at very close quarters and did not survive on occasions share the same graveyard. Tragic!

#50014 - 31/08/16 08:38 PM Re: Holidays [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
One of the things that was very noticeable at Calais was the immigrant camp near the ferry port and on the beach. This is undoubtedly a problem requiring some solution although the scale is enormous and growing. On one evening near to dark when we were driving along a road near Calais I came close to running over one group of very young foreign travellers making there way towards Calais.
One has to wonder why they want to come to Britain because countries like Germany appear to have greater prosperity, more worldly goods, certainly most people appear better off than in the north of England or most parts of Scotland and Ireland.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com