Topic Options
#49712 - 13/03/16 01:10 PM Italian Rugby
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Yesterday Florence and I took the train down to Dublin with some friends to watch the Ireland v Italy Six Nations match. Very enjoyable result for Irish supporters and an entertaining match. Watching the loyal Italian supporters celebrate when their team put some points on the board was also a treat. Most of the time they were swamped by a sea of green flags but when their moments came, boy did they know how to celebrate them which kept us smiling. Great supporters.

#49714 - 13/03/16 11:46 PM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Today I took the stairs down to the wee lounge to watch Haggis ‘n’ Neeps do a number on Coq au Vin.
My only regret is that the gongs went south of the border.
Funnily enough, I was clearing drawers of unworn T shirts and jerseys Janet has accumulated over the years, and found a ‘stotter’ I had made at a wee embroidery factory managed by the chairman of COSLA back in the early 80s.
A wonderful Thistle with Grand Slam above and Triple Crown below, dated 1984. I had about a dozen made in various sizes for all the family, and as far as I know, Janet’s is the only one left. I think I grew out of mine !!
The man who managed the wee business in Irvine back then was Councillor Davie O’Neill, still the high heid yin at COSLA. His embroidery has lasted better than his ideals.
Does anyone else have 32 year old jerseys tucked away? We have hehehe.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#49717 - 14/03/16 08:03 PM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

Hi Rab, the way Scotland were playing against France yesterday I think you could splash out on a new jersey to celebrate. What ever happened to the "we're winning but we are likely to succumb in the last five minutes" mentality. It's gone and they're playing great.

#49720 - 15/03/16 07:57 PM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Steeler Offline

Loc: Wigtoon!
Personally I was very glad to see the gongs going south of the border, to their rightful home. Small compensation, though, for that debacle back in the summer. Jingoism aside, I have seen little in the six nations teams that would set the southern hemisphere a-quivering in their boots.

#49722 - 16/03/16 12:39 AM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

Ah Raymondo, I will hold on to Janet’s 1984 jersey unless the moths get munching at it. Mike, the gongs went south, but not deservedly.
I think the home nations have played better rugby this season than they have in the last ten years.
The fact that each team has been able to alter their game to take on opponents is a step in the right direction.
My only gripe relating to the southern hemisphere is that the UK packs are woefully light in comparison.
Whether or not that is a good or bad thing will be demonstrated when the hemispheres collide again.
The speed and mobility of the back rows and half backs is wonderful to watch, and the use of Gary Owens by the forwards is a hark back to the 60s and 70s.
Modern rugby has faults and shortcomings, but I feel the current home nations are getting it right, slowly but surely.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#49725 - 17/03/16 09:24 PM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Raymondo Offline

Interesting Rab that you should mention the good old GaryOwen, there were a few times last weekend in perfect dry conditions and with the Landsdowne Rd pitch looking like a lawn, that I witnessed this old fashioned up and under tactic. It worked so well on wet mucky pitches that poorer teams like ours could negate the benefits of much more skillful players. It used to put the fear of God in me if as a light weight winger or full back, I was forced to wait while the ball hung in the air and refused to drop, so one eye was on the ball travelling in slow motion whilst the other was on the kicker travelling at speed towards you followed by a herd of heavy forwards all about to kill you. In the 60's there were no rules about not tackling someone in the air or having to set them down safely, so as a defender you just had to hope that when you jumped for the ball you had your knees high enough in the air, ie about mouth high, to deter opponents and the studs of your boots facing forward in order to survive the onslaught.

#49728 - 20/03/16 12:34 AM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

Get rid of the tactics, let emotion rule, and what do you get? The most free flowing rugby of the championships with trys galore.
There always has to be a loser in a two horse race, but there was no disgrace when Scotland lost to a better Irish side today.
Still sorry to see the big gong going south, but I am a bigot in favour of anyone bar Ingerrland hehehe.
The atmosphere alone would have been worth the money, let alone the spectacle and excitment at the Dublin Stadium.
The pitch was perfect Raymondo, but the Up and Unders were prolific.
I wish the Scots had won, but I am glad Irish raised their game to clinch it.
Wonderful sporting entertainment, a few squabbles, but a great result for both sides.

Alba gu bràth, Rab.

#49729 - 21/03/16 05:26 PM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Steeler Offline

Pleased to see the Grand Slam being won by Ingerrland. It's interesting to see how these Southern Hemisphere coaches are getting the best out of the home unions.

Twas a good weekend for me as the Sheffield Steelers retained their Elite Ice Hockey League title with wins against their arch rivals, Nottingham Panthers on Saturday, and then up in Kirkcaldy against the Fife Flyers on Sunday. Even sweeter was the fact that they pipped the Cardiff Devils to the title.

#49734 - 22/03/16 12:52 AM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Wee Rab Offline

Ahh Mike, your love of ice placed violence exposes your dark side hehehe.
I bet your mum and gran loved wrestling on ITV.
As I have posted before, those grappling giants were wonderful actors, as are the battling ice buffoons.
I just like skating.

Cheers, Rab.

#49735 - 22/03/16 10:42 AM Re: Italian Rugby [Re: Raymondo]
Steeler Offline

Rab

I must admit I did start watching ice hockey in the hope of a good rammy. But such activity is now pretty rare and, after a few games, you start to appreciate the speed and skill involved. Similarly with rugby. I do still look back with affection to the days when the front row looked like they'd just staggered out of the bar and were ready to stick their fist in someone's face at the slightest provocation. However, once again, it's the speed and skill that sets the pulses racing now.

Both sports are the perfect antidote to the primadonnas in professional foolball.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com