Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49341 - 27/09/15 06:12 PM Distillery plan for Newton Stewart
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
It looks very much like Mr Prior may have some competition from a new proposed distillery at the island on the edge of Newton Stewart.
The application was submitted by Graham Taylor, one of the partners in Glasgow Whisky Limited. The other director is Stuart Hendry.
All the drawings and applications are available on the Dumgal web site, and if anyone is interested the application reference number is 15/P/1/0197

Their own company website is http://www.glasgowwhisky.com/html/About-Us.html

We will soon be part of the Lowland Whisky Trail if Martin gets his distillery up and running in the near future.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#49342 - 27/09/15 06:19 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Forgot to tell you the name. Crafty Scottish Distillers Ltd.

Cheers, Rab.

#49343 - 27/09/15 06:50 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Sorry folks, here is a direct link to the relevant documents.

http://eaccess.dumgal.gov.uk/online-appl...MF_DCAPR_110090

Cheers, Rab.

#49350 - 01/10/15 01:39 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hello Rab,

Thanks for posting news on our proposed distillery plans.

If yourself or any of the other members on the blog are interested I'd be happy to share some of our plans for the distillery. We're very much looking forward to bringing this new venture to the area.

Also, my name is Graham Taylor, but I'm not the Graham Taylor from Glasgow Whisky Limited, so the project has nothing to do with them. Funny coincidence though!

All the best,

Graham Taylor
Managing Director
Crafty Scottish Distillers Ltd

#49351 - 01/10/15 06:59 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hello Graham, it is nice of you to invite me, and other forum members to share in the ongoing plans for your distillery.
Sorry about the confusion with the Glasgow Whisky Coy. Sometimes Googling names and trades chucks out the odd anomaly, but as you say, a funny coincidence!
The look of your eco-friendly grass roofed buildings is intriguing, but they have worked well in other places. The last one I remember was in Irvine, but I have no idea how it is standing up to the coastal weather now.
You will certainly have a fine view over the town and the Cree from the site.
If your plans are approved and the venture goes ahead as you plan, I am sure you will get your fair share of inquisitive visitors who already come here to visit Bladnoch, and pick up whisky from Martin the Whiskybroker at the Ferry Toon.
As I said in my first post, it may be the start of a Lowland Whisky Trail.
Welcome to the Forum.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, look forward to meeting you, Rab.

#49354 - 03/10/15 12:10 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi again Graham, I presume that by joining the Forum you are reading the various posts.
Someone asked me today, what are they going to make if they get approval?
I don't know.
What are you going to make?

Cheers, Rab.

#49357 - 04/10/15 08:06 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Hi Rab,

No problems at all. Our approach to this venture is very much about getting people involved and interested in our distillery and our products. Assuming the plans are approved soon, we're confident we can begin to welcome people to enjoy the views from our planned tasting room early next year.

Product wise, you'll be pleased to hear we shall be creating our own single malt whisky, which is obviously a long term game, so while that's working away in the barrels, our first product to market will be a gin. The first lowland gin I would imagine? We have already begun experimenting with some potential gin recipes on our small test still.

The full distillery set up we will be running is very flexible in terms of what spirits we are able to produce, so gin and whisky will not be the only products we will look into.

Cheers,

Graham

#49358 - 04/10/15 01:33 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Actually I should correct myself, it would not be 'the first lowland gin'. I'm sure Hendricks would claim that title. But it would certainly be the first in Galloway! ha

#49359 - 04/10/15 03:23 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Graham, good luck with your planning application ..... never easy in D&G.

#49360 - 04/10/15 06:56 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

It might well be the first legal and above board gin in D&G !!
Have you bought the land Graham or is the purchase or lease conditiuonal on getting planning pedrmission?
Cheers, Rab.

#49361 - 04/10/15 08:00 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Beefy Offline

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
I don't know much about gins but from the lowlands other than hendricks you have Gordons and Tanquery from CB, Love Gin, Hop gin and prob a few others from Eden mill, Darnleys view from Kingsbarns/wemyss,Edinburgh Gin,NB gin, Daffys Gin, Pickering's,GALT, Makar and probably a few more who have started production since i started writting this.

#49362 - 04/10/15 09:24 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Your quite right beefy these are all indeed lowland gins. I was really thinking more the Dumfries & Galloway area .re our gin. No doubt we will see 1 or 2 more gins launched this year.

If your interested I found this map a few months back which covers most of the craft gins from Scotland, with a few missing, but interesting to see.

http://blog.5pm.co.uk/2015/08/are-the-be...-scottish-gins/

#49363 - 04/10/15 10:14 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Beefy Offline

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
Oh i forgot Blackwood shetland gin, if it's still in production was made in Airdrie

#49368 - 05/10/15 03:34 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Thanks Raymond, with any luck the planners will see that it's a worth while addition to the area. smile

#49382 - 08/10/15 09:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Our local radio station must be reading the Forum, as they aired a piece all day today about a Lowland Whisky Trail.
However they didn’t mention Martin’s plans for a distillery or those of the Crafty Distillers.
Had I been a working hack, I would have been all over the Crafty Distillers and Martin as soon as the plans were lodged and made public.
Journalists in this neck of the woods never fly a kite, and only write about what has happened, rather than what may, or could happen.
Every rag I worked on I told reps and tele-ads, to alert the newsroom if an unusual planning application came in. That provided me with some great pieces over the years.
Not to worry, I am retired and will stay that way.
Here is a link to the piece they broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-34444247

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#49392 - 15/10/15 10:38 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well, well, well, nice to see the local Press have caught up with the Forum.
If either of the local papers had a real ‘get of your arse’ reporter and stopped rewriting council press releases, they would have had the story about the new distillery proposal two weeks ago.
I have to add, it isn’t just newspapers down here which have stopped looking for news.
My old group back up the west coast is just as bad. Instead of getting out on the streets and in the pubs and clubs listening to local gossip, reporters treat an incoming telephone call as gold dust.
My old industry has changed out of recognition, and not for the better.
The electronic age means that most people would rather read some blog written by a half wit, and treat it as Gospel, rather than buy what now passes as a newspaper, and who can blame them.
If newspaper owners pay peanuts, they will attract monkeys.
Falling standards leads to falling sales, and lack of revenue through advertising leads to loss of jobs.
I sincerely hope that the planners in Dumfries and Galloway see the light and allow this venture, despite the roads people saying it is too close to their main road to be acceptable, but don’t say why.

Cheers, Rab.

#49395 - 16/10/15 05:26 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Hi Rab,

Yes indeed, very good to see the story out there. Lets see if it gets picked up by the BBC. You would think that after that article you posted this would be a relevant follow-up...

Also, yes the Roads dept have some concerns on the visibility of the junction as to oncoming traffic from the Wigtown direction. We have already re-drawn a new solution for this, and fingers crossed this does the trick.

Thanks,

Graham

#49396 - 17/10/15 12:11 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi Graham, I still do not see where there would be a visibility problem from the Wigtown entrance to the island, but if you have addressed the objection then good luck.
And for the nit pickers, the lack of one ‘f’ in ‘off’’ from my earlier post was noticed but could not be rectified as it was time barred.
A slip of the finger, but I am human, despite those who demand infallibility from me :o))
Planning committees have annoyed me for my whole working life, as I have seen them refuse applications for the most ridiculous reasons, and allow applications which were unimaginable.
We have to remember that planning committees are made up of people like those on this forum, who rely on the law to uphold or reject their initial decisions.
That is what democracy is all about, isn’t it?

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#49400 - 20/10/15 12:22 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

At least with Roads Service you only have to meet the required standards in terms of the required visibility splays or acceptable distance from main junction etc. With the planners it can be much more vague, you come into the realm of complying with policy documents which can provide a load of reasons supporting a refusal or resulting in lengthy delays or which can be just as easily ignored.

#49402 - 21/10/15 01:14 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Start as you intend to continue ... I think if those in charge of this project have acquired the two acre site for just £1, they are off to a good start. Unfortunately the suppliers of stills, wash backs etc are less likely to be as easy to deal with.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13873...e_Loch_Eriboll/

#49403 - 21/10/15 10:32 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi Raymond, I had to chuckle at the comments from Herald readers, severely nit-picking the difference between the headline and the first par of the piece.
Headline writers and subs are different breeds of writers. The headline is the appetiser, and the first and second pars ‘should’ be the meat and gravy.
I have been to Laid and Loch Eriboll on many occasions, and although it is a beautiful landscape, it is one of the most God-forsaken places in Scotland. Lord knows who will fill the three proposed jobs; I doubt there are three people in the area looking for a full time job!
You really have to ask yourself, why, are craft distilleries springing up all over the shop?
The big boys ploughed in millions of pound in expansion programmes in the last decade, and are now beginning to put them on hold as the much heralded new world markets succumb to financial contraction.
As wee private businesses, craft distillers will no doubt make enough money to keep the wolf from the door, but some of the current small distillery whisky leaves much to be desired.
It is a long game, such as that being played by Francis at Daftmill. Rushing to the market with young whisky is often a dire mistake, and I will not name again the whiskies I have tasted which are testament to this mistake.
However, I wish them all the best of luck, as the law of probability dictates one of them will produce a pure gem.

Cheers, Rab.

#49404 - 22/10/15 10:01 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Hi Rab, you make a fair point about over capacity and the big guys in my opinion can produce whisky at a cheaper price per litre. This of course leads me to wonder if Martin's thoughts on building his own distillery, makes good sense, even though he hopes to do it on a shoestring. Despite the big guys appearing to ease off on expansion they are not releasing many casks, so in some ways Martins position is not unlike that of Signatory fifteen or twenty years ago when shortage of casks for their very successful business prompted them to look around for their own distillery and Edradour provided the solution.
So when I eventually get some money from the liquidation of a lifetime's work, I'll have two questions to answer, will I invest in whisky and will I invest in a distillery. The answer to the first is yes but probably no to the second. The reason for the no not so much market circumstances but rather age and recently too many years have been wasted. But like yourself I wish anyone game enough to give it a try, the best of luck.

The link below is a year old but I don't think the outlook has changed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/consumer/article4250617.ece

#49407 - 23/10/15 10:37 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well Raymondo, judging by the latest McTears on-line whisky auction results, it has suddenly become a buyers’ market.
Dozens of unsold lots, many more below or marginally above the lower estimate.
Only a small handful making big, big, money, mostly Laphroaigs and Glenmorangie.
For the collectors, or those drinkers looking to sample a fairly rare whisky, now appears to be the time to buy.
The bog standard collections of mixed blends and common or garden single malts were sold at give-away prices.
Have look for yourselves.

http://www.mctears.co.uk/auctions/browse.aspx?id=3e4495f4-ff94-40ac-9d30-2825d39722ad

I only spotted one Bladnoch, a Flora and Fauna, but it didn’t set the heather on fire either.
Looking forward to getting my latest TWE order, two nine year old sherried Ledaigs, a couple of port and sherry finished Tyrconnells, a Tomatin 12 year old sherry finish and a Spey Tenne tawny port finish.
May take a closer look at McTears next auction!

Cheers, Rab.

#49408 - 23/10/15 10:53 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
ke Johansson Offline

Loc: Hammar�, Sweden
Though the giants appear reluctant to expansion at the moment this fear for the future does not seem to affect the small producers:
http://www.just-drinks.com/comment/can-s...t_id118481.aspx

#49483 - 24/11/15 09:58 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi Graham, just read that last correspondence dated November 13 relating to Rural Development!
Being on the perimeter of Newton Stewart, literally a stone’s throw from the town condemns you to complying with planning regulations designed to stop inappropriate development in the countryside.
As Raymond stated, D&G do not make things easy for anyone trying to introduce something different.
I would have thought the edge of town was classed as suburban rather than rural, but who am I to apply logic when a Regional Council is involved, eh?
I also think their suggestion that your application be withdrawn and then re-submitted if you cannot meet the time criteria involved is out of order.
Surely there should be some mechanism to extend the period if needed, rather than invoke more cash outlay to re-apply?
Best of luck in the latest round of talks.

Cheers, Rab.

#49607 - 23/01/16 04:58 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Hi Rab, apologies for not updating you on our progress sooner. We had a busy time of it fulfilling the required economic evidence requested, but the good news is it was time well spent. I'm very pleased to confirm that the local planners have now confirmed in black and white that our plans are approved! smile

Cheers for now,

Graham

#49609 - 23/01/16 01:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Excellent news Graham, just had a look at the approval on-line. Usual standard conditions, nothing you would not do for yourself if you were developing the site.
With Bladnoch heading back in to production, Martin the Whiskybroker steaming ahead with his plans at Creetown, and a new mini distillery in Newton, the Lowland Whisky Trail is now a reality.
Congratulations.

Rab.

#49659 - 18/02/16 01:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Loc: Wigtoon!
Plenty of diggers and excavation on site when I went past this morning. Looks like it's all happening!

#49736 - 22/03/16 01:18 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Passing the site this morning I noticed that the construction steel being delivered.

#49800 - 30/04/16 01:34 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Steel skelton has now been erected.

#49801 - 30/04/16 11:46 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Aye Mike, a whisky drinking pal of mine from Whithorn has been welding the steelwork, and has told Graham who I am!
I have been over to the site a few times but nothing going on and the gates closed. I will get there some time, same as I promise myself about going fishing!

Cheers , Rab.

#49871 - 03/06/16 10:18 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Hi All,

Been a while since I was last on here. Thought you were due an update.

We've had a few bumps along the way on the access for the distillery. Essentially we have requested to move the access, to avoid issues with our neighbours. So rather than access from the existing farm road, we will have our own access sited directly into the field off the Wigtown Road.

So far, we have received 9 complaints all from the same neighbours (and their friends) who are keen to do whatever they can to stop our venture going ahead. You can read them on the link below. We had no complaints the first time round.

The important point here is that the approved access we have already obtained clearly states from the roads department that the road safety at that location is not an issue and has had no recorded accidents in a very long time. So, whilst I'm hopeful this will hold true for our new access, I'd like to open this up to anyone from the area that uses this road to share your views and support should you agree that the new access should be granted approval to allow this important venture to continue as planned.

Unfortunately the deadline to share views closes at midnight tonight! If you have time and share our view, it can be a big help.

To register your support you can simply email the planner directly. Stating your views, and quoting there case ref.no. 16/P/1/0095

billy.murray@dumgal.gov.uk

https://eaccess.dumgal.gov.uk/online-app...MF_DCAPR_112148

Thanks,

Graham

#49872 - 03/06/16 07:56 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Oh the joys of trying to get a planning approval in Dumfries and Galloway. The new entrance will not result in any increase in the actual volume of traffic when compared to the approved entrance and the daily amount going down towards Wigtown/ South Machars etc is hardly significant when compared with the amount of traffic going through the roundabout to and from Stranraer.

Good luck.

#49889 - 12/06/16 09:33 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

This seems to be the way drinkers are moving ! Raphael at the Whisky Experience told me recently that he caters for more Gin tastings than whisky !

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14551843.The_rise_and_rise_of_Scottish_gin/

Cheers, Rab.

#49973 - 05/08/16 11:04 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Was over at the new distillery again today, and all appears to be going well in terms of construction. The roof is in place and the main works are going great, but the local objectors are unhappy, and the police have been involved in dealing with several incidents relating to access and other matters.
Graham and his dad are not getting an easy ride, but when the project is done and dusted, as it will be, visitors will get a fantastic view over the Cree and surrounding countryside.
The roof is made of fibreglass, covered with decking, blankets and then earth, seeded with grass. I wouldn't want to cut it!!!
I was also over at Bladnoch, and the visitor centre was unattended, there were contracors here there and everywhere, but no Bladnoch staff.
I suggest I could have hoisted a few bottles of Pure Scot, had I the notion, but at £35 a bottle for a 40% blend, why would I risk a criminal record?
What Bladnoch was, is gone.
It has been gutted and will eventually be a commercial production distillery.
I have no idea how many barrels of Armstrong distilled whisky are in the sheds, but I hope Mr Prior has the good grace to label them as such when they are bottled under the Pure Scot label.

Cheers 'n beers Rab.

#49978 - 08/08/16 11:15 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Hi Rab
Next year is the 200th anniversary of Bladnoch and I expect all the work will be completed by then. I've no doubt they'll be opening a few casks for that very special celebration but I wouldn't expect them to be aimed at the lower end of the market.

#49993 - 16/08/16 10:08 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I had notice this morning that Graham’s application for a separate access road to the new distillery will go to the planning applications committee on Tuesday, August 23.
I will say nothing in public which may prejudice the outcome, which I hope will be unanimous approval.
It beggars belief that the distillery has been approved, but access to it is the subject of objections, which if upheld, will cause the objectors more problems than those they presently fear.
Nowt as strange as folk, as they say!

Cheers, Rab.

#50011 - 30/08/16 11:35 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

The new access row rumbles on! The Planning Applications Committee have decided that a site visit on Wednesday, September 14 at 1430, is needed so they can familiarise themselves with the site and the approaches to it.
I wonder where on earth they will park their cars? If they park inside the new distillery grounds, they will get first hand experience of how awkward and tight the current access is.

Cheers, Rab.

#50054 - 30/09/16 02:51 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well, it looks as if common sense and local economic benefits have prevailed!
The separate access to the new distillery has been recommended for approval subject to various conditions relating to visibility.
If the conditions are met within six months, the separate access road will get the green light.
Apparently, the councillors who attended the on-site meeting agreed to indicate a ‘willingness’ to approve the application as an exception to council policy, on the grounds the economic benefits would outweigh the road safety concerns raised by the objectors.
It looks as if the Lowlands Whisky Trail is still on track.

Cheers, Rab.

#50138 - 04/11/16 12:52 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I had a wee shufty up at the new Newton Stewart distillery the other day, and work goes on at a pace which is astonishing.
The distilling plant is installed, and engineers and builders are getting everything finished.
Unfortunately Graham or his dad weren’t there when I looked in, but the work is cracking on.
A new wall has been built adjacent to the current entrance to the site, and despite the lunacy of a G4S driver who had hogged my tail all the way from the centre of Newton Stewart and overtook me as I indicated to turn right to the distillery, I see no problems with a new access road..
I e-mailed G4S to inform them they had a hand jiver driving one of their trucks, and guess what … no reply.
Why am I not surprised?
No worries, the site is developing well and I look forward to seeing steam emerging from the vents.

Cheers, Rab.

#50187 - 08/12/16 04:03 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I stuck my nose in at the new Newton distillery today after picking up some whisky from Martin at Creetown.
It is coming on in leaps and bounds. The exterior windows are in place, and the building is wind and watertight, meaning fitting out the interior is speeding up.
The wooden floor is partially laid, wall cladding is started, and the electrics and plumbing are well underway.
The reception worktop, or counter, if that is what it is to be, is spectacular to say the least.
It is a 20 or 30 foot solid tree trunk, looks like a Scots Pine, and a slice has been cut off from end to end, leaving a flat surface two or three feet wide.
When mounted in three marble ‘U’ shaped holders, it will be impressive to say the least.
There is no doubt this new distillery is going to attract visitors, and with three other proposed distilleries in Dumfries and Borders getting the ‘nod’ from the Scottish Parliament, a fully fledged Lowland Whisky Trail may soon be a reality.
Just think, from Hawick to Bladnoch, six distilleries and Martin’s whisky complex in Creetown. What an attraction for the south of Scotland !

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50431 - 10/09/17 08:48 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I stuck my nose in at the Crafty Distillery a couple of times last week.
It is the first time I have been up there since the sad and untimely death of Billy Taylor, Graham’s father, who was managing the build and day to day running of the site.
I was just getting to know Billy quite well and was often treated to first hand tours of the build.
However, I popped in and had a few words with Craig and bought some gin for a forthcoming visit to a relative over in Cockpen near Edinburgh.
The distillery is looking grand, and my brief visit was shortened by the arrival of a car full of ladies booked in for a tour and a taste.
Judging by the number of cars in the car park every time we pass, everything is going well and attracting tourists to the area.
It is just a shame that Bladnoch Distillery gates are still firmly closed to visitors, and David Prior is at loggerheads with the local community council by denying access to the riverside path.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com