Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49801 - 30/04/16 11:46 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Aye Mike, a whisky drinking pal of mine from Whithorn has been welding the steelwork, and has told Graham who I am!
I have been over to the site a few times but nothing going on and the gates closed. I will get there some time, same as I promise myself about going fishing!

Cheers , Rab.

#49871 - 03/06/16 10:18 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi All,

Been a while since I was last on here. Thought you were due an update.

We've had a few bumps along the way on the access for the distillery. Essentially we have requested to move the access, to avoid issues with our neighbours. So rather than access from the existing farm road, we will have our own access sited directly into the field off the Wigtown Road.

So far, we have received 9 complaints all from the same neighbours (and their friends) who are keen to do whatever they can to stop our venture going ahead. You can read them on the link below. We had no complaints the first time round.

The important point here is that the approved access we have already obtained clearly states from the roads department that the road safety at that location is not an issue and has had no recorded accidents in a very long time. So, whilst I'm hopeful this will hold true for our new access, I'd like to open this up to anyone from the area that uses this road to share your views and support should you agree that the new access should be granted approval to allow this important venture to continue as planned.

Unfortunately the deadline to share views closes at midnight tonight! If you have time and share our view, it can be a big help.

To register your support you can simply email the planner directly. Stating your views, and quoting there case ref.no. 16/P/1/0095

billy.murray@dumgal.gov.uk

https://eaccess.dumgal.gov.uk/online-app...MF_DCAPR_112148

Thanks,

Graham

#49872 - 03/06/16 07:56 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Oh the joys of trying to get a planning approval in Dumfries and Galloway. The new entrance will not result in any increase in the actual volume of traffic when compared to the approved entrance and the daily amount going down towards Wigtown/ South Machars etc is hardly significant when compared with the amount of traffic going through the roundabout to and from Stranraer.

Good luck.

#49889 - 12/06/16 09:33 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

This seems to be the way drinkers are moving ! Raphael at the Whisky Experience told me recently that he caters for more Gin tastings than whisky !

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14551843.The_rise_and_rise_of_Scottish_gin/

Cheers, Rab.

#49973 - 05/08/16 11:04 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Was over at the new distillery again today, and all appears to be going well in terms of construction. The roof is in place and the main works are going great, but the local objectors are unhappy, and the police have been involved in dealing with several incidents relating to access and other matters.
Graham and his dad are not getting an easy ride, but when the project is done and dusted, as it will be, visitors will get a fantastic view over the Cree and surrounding countryside.
The roof is made of fibreglass, covered with decking, blankets and then earth, seeded with grass. I wouldn't want to cut it!!!
I was also over at Bladnoch, and the visitor centre was unattended, there were contracors here there and everywhere, but no Bladnoch staff.
I suggest I could have hoisted a few bottles of Pure Scot, had I the notion, but at £35 a bottle for a 40% blend, why would I risk a criminal record?
What Bladnoch was, is gone.
It has been gutted and will eventually be a commercial production distillery.
I have no idea how many barrels of Armstrong distilled whisky are in the sheds, but I hope Mr Prior has the good grace to label them as such when they are bottled under the Pure Scot label.

Cheers 'n beers Rab.

#49978 - 08/08/16 11:15 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Rab
Next year is the 200th anniversary of Bladnoch and I expect all the work will be completed by then. I've no doubt they'll be opening a few casks for that very special celebration but I wouldn't expect them to be aimed at the lower end of the market.

#49993 - 16/08/16 10:08 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I had notice this morning that Graham’s application for a separate access road to the new distillery will go to the planning applications committee on Tuesday, August 23.
I will say nothing in public which may prejudice the outcome, which I hope will be unanimous approval.
It beggars belief that the distillery has been approved, but access to it is the subject of objections, which if upheld, will cause the objectors more problems than those they presently fear.
Nowt as strange as folk, as they say!

Cheers, Rab.

#50011 - 30/08/16 11:35 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

The new access row rumbles on! The Planning Applications Committee have decided that a site visit on Wednesday, September 14 at 1430, is needed so they can familiarise themselves with the site and the approaches to it.
I wonder where on earth they will park their cars? If they park inside the new distillery grounds, they will get first hand experience of how awkward and tight the current access is.

Cheers, Rab.

#50054 - 30/09/16 02:51 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well, it looks as if common sense and local economic benefits have prevailed!
The separate access to the new distillery has been recommended for approval subject to various conditions relating to visibility.
If the conditions are met within six months, the separate access road will get the green light.
Apparently, the councillors who attended the on-site meeting agreed to indicate a ‘willingness’ to approve the application as an exception to council policy, on the grounds the economic benefits would outweigh the road safety concerns raised by the objectors.
It looks as if the Lowlands Whisky Trail is still on track.

Cheers, Rab.

#50138 - 04/11/16 12:52 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

I had a wee shufty up at the new Newton Stewart distillery the other day, and work goes on at a pace which is astonishing.
The distilling plant is installed, and engineers and builders are getting everything finished.
Unfortunately Graham or his dad weren’t there when I looked in, but the work is cracking on.
A new wall has been built adjacent to the current entrance to the site, and despite the lunacy of a G4S driver who had hogged my tail all the way from the centre of Newton Stewart and overtook me as I indicated to turn right to the distillery, I see no problems with a new access road..
I e-mailed G4S to inform them they had a hand jiver driving one of their trucks, and guess what … no reply.
Why am I not surprised?
No worries, the site is developing well and I look forward to seeing steam emerging from the vents.

Cheers, Rab.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com