Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49403 - 21/10/15 10:32 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Hi Raymond, I had to chuckle at the comments from Herald readers, severely nit-picking the difference between the headline and the first par of the piece.
Headline writers and subs are different breeds of writers. The headline is the appetiser, and the first and second pars ‘should’ be the meat and gravy.
I have been to Laid and Loch Eriboll on many occasions, and although it is a beautiful landscape, it is one of the most God-forsaken places in Scotland. Lord knows who will fill the three proposed jobs; I doubt there are three people in the area looking for a full time job!
You really have to ask yourself, why, are craft distilleries springing up all over the shop?
The big boys ploughed in millions of pound in expansion programmes in the last decade, and are now beginning to put them on hold as the much heralded new world markets succumb to financial contraction.
As wee private businesses, craft distillers will no doubt make enough money to keep the wolf from the door, but some of the current small distillery whisky leaves much to be desired.
It is a long game, such as that being played by Francis at Daftmill. Rushing to the market with young whisky is often a dire mistake, and I will not name again the whiskies I have tasted which are testament to this mistake.
However, I wish them all the best of luck, as the law of probability dictates one of them will produce a pure gem.

Cheers, Rab.

#49404 - 22/10/15 10:01 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Rab, you make a fair point about over capacity and the big guys in my opinion can produce whisky at a cheaper price per litre. This of course leads me to wonder if Martin's thoughts on building his own distillery, makes good sense, even though he hopes to do it on a shoestring. Despite the big guys appearing to ease off on expansion they are not releasing many casks, so in some ways Martins position is not unlike that of Signatory fifteen or twenty years ago when shortage of casks for their very successful business prompted them to look around for their own distillery and Edradour provided the solution.
So when I eventually get some money from the liquidation of a lifetime's work, I'll have two questions to answer, will I invest in whisky and will I invest in a distillery. The answer to the first is yes but probably no to the second. The reason for the no not so much market circumstances but rather age and recently too many years have been wasted. But like yourself I wish anyone game enough to give it a try, the best of luck.

The link below is a year old but I don't think the outlook has changed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/consumer/article4250617.ece

#49407 - 23/10/15 10:37 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well Raymondo, judging by the latest McTears on-line whisky auction results, it has suddenly become a buyers’ market.
Dozens of unsold lots, many more below or marginally above the lower estimate.
Only a small handful making big, big, money, mostly Laphroaigs and Glenmorangie.
For the collectors, or those drinkers looking to sample a fairly rare whisky, now appears to be the time to buy.
The bog standard collections of mixed blends and common or garden single malts were sold at give-away prices.
Have look for yourselves.

http://www.mctears.co.uk/auctions/browse.aspx?id=3e4495f4-ff94-40ac-9d30-2825d39722ad

I only spotted one Bladnoch, a Flora and Fauna, but it didn’t set the heather on fire either.
Looking forward to getting my latest TWE order, two nine year old sherried Ledaigs, a couple of port and sherry finished Tyrconnells, a Tomatin 12 year old sherry finish and a Spey Tenne tawny port finish.
May take a closer look at McTears next auction!

Cheers, Rab.

#49408 - 23/10/15 10:53 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
ke Johansson Offline

Loc: Hammar�, Sweden
Though the giants appear reluctant to expansion at the moment this fear for the future does not seem to affect the small producers:
http://www.just-drinks.com/comment/can-s...t_id118481.aspx

#49483 - 24/11/15 09:58 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi Graham, just read that last correspondence dated November 13 relating to Rural Development!
Being on the perimeter of Newton Stewart, literally a stone’s throw from the town condemns you to complying with planning regulations designed to stop inappropriate development in the countryside.
As Raymond stated, D&G do not make things easy for anyone trying to introduce something different.
I would have thought the edge of town was classed as suburban rather than rural, but who am I to apply logic when a Regional Council is involved, eh?
I also think their suggestion that your application be withdrawn and then re-submitted if you cannot meet the time criteria involved is out of order.
Surely there should be some mechanism to extend the period if needed, rather than invoke more cash outlay to re-apply?
Best of luck in the latest round of talks.

Cheers, Rab.

#49607 - 23/01/16 04:58 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi Rab, apologies for not updating you on our progress sooner. We had a busy time of it fulfilling the required economic evidence requested, but the good news is it was time well spent. I'm very pleased to confirm that the local planners have now confirmed in black and white that our plans are approved! smile

Cheers for now,

Graham

#49609 - 23/01/16 01:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Excellent news Graham, just had a look at the approval on-line. Usual standard conditions, nothing you would not do for yourself if you were developing the site.
With Bladnoch heading back in to production, Martin the Whiskybroker steaming ahead with his plans at Creetown, and a new mini distillery in Newton, the Lowland Whisky Trail is now a reality.
Congratulations.

Rab.

#49659 - 18/02/16 01:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Loc: Wigtoon!
Plenty of diggers and excavation on site when I went past this morning. Looks like it's all happening!

#49736 - 22/03/16 01:18 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Passing the site this morning I noticed that the construction steel being delivered.

#49800 - 30/04/16 01:34 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Steel skelton has now been erected.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com