Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#49361 - 04/10/15 08:00 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Beefy Online   happy

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
I don't know much about gins but from the lowlands other than hendricks you have Gordons and Tanquery from CB, Love Gin, Hop gin and prob a few others from Eden mill, Darnleys view from Kingsbarns/wemyss,Edinburgh Gin,NB gin, Daffys Gin, Pickering's,GALT, Makar and probably a few more who have started production since i started writting this.

#49362 - 04/10/15 09:24 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Loc: Scotland
Your quite right beefy these are all indeed lowland gins. I was really thinking more the Dumfries & Galloway area .re our gin. No doubt we will see 1 or 2 more gins launched this year.

If your interested I found this map a few months back which covers most of the craft gins from Scotland, with a few missing, but interesting to see.

http://blog.5pm.co.uk/2015/08/are-the-be...-scottish-gins/

#49363 - 04/10/15 10:14 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Beefy Online   happy

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
Oh i forgot Blackwood shetland gin, if it's still in production was made in Airdrie

#49368 - 05/10/15 03:34 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Thanks Raymond, with any luck the planners will see that it's a worth while addition to the area. smile

#49382 - 08/10/15 09:45 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Our local radio station must be reading the Forum, as they aired a piece all day today about a Lowland Whisky Trail.
However they didn’t mention Martin’s plans for a distillery or those of the Crafty Distillers.
Had I been a working hack, I would have been all over the Crafty Distillers and Martin as soon as the plans were lodged and made public.
Journalists in this neck of the woods never fly a kite, and only write about what has happened, rather than what may, or could happen.
Every rag I worked on I told reps and tele-ads, to alert the newsroom if an unusual planning application came in. That provided me with some great pieces over the years.
Not to worry, I am retired and will stay that way.
Here is a link to the piece they broadcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-34444247

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#49392 - 15/10/15 10:38 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Well, well, well, nice to see the local Press have caught up with the Forum.
If either of the local papers had a real ‘get of your arse’ reporter and stopped rewriting council press releases, they would have had the story about the new distillery proposal two weeks ago.
I have to add, it isn’t just newspapers down here which have stopped looking for news.
My old group back up the west coast is just as bad. Instead of getting out on the streets and in the pubs and clubs listening to local gossip, reporters treat an incoming telephone call as gold dust.
My old industry has changed out of recognition, and not for the better.
The electronic age means that most people would rather read some blog written by a half wit, and treat it as Gospel, rather than buy what now passes as a newspaper, and who can blame them.
If newspaper owners pay peanuts, they will attract monkeys.
Falling standards leads to falling sales, and lack of revenue through advertising leads to loss of jobs.
I sincerely hope that the planners in Dumfries and Galloway see the light and allow this venture, despite the roads people saying it is too close to their main road to be acceptable, but don’t say why.

Cheers, Rab.

#49395 - 16/10/15 05:26 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Crafty Offline

Hi Rab,

Yes indeed, very good to see the story out there. Lets see if it gets picked up by the BBC. You would think that after that article you posted this would be a relevant follow-up...

Also, yes the Roads dept have some concerns on the visibility of the junction as to oncoming traffic from the Wigtown direction. We have already re-drawn a new solution for this, and fingers crossed this does the trick.

Thanks,

Graham

#49396 - 17/10/15 12:11 AM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Wee Rab Offline

Hi Graham, I still do not see where there would be a visibility problem from the Wigtown entrance to the island, but if you have addressed the objection then good luck.
And for the nit pickers, the lack of one ‘f’ in ‘off’’ from my earlier post was noticed but could not be rectified as it was time barred.
A slip of the finger, but I am human, despite those who demand infallibility from me :o))
Planning committees have annoyed me for my whole working life, as I have seen them refuse applications for the most ridiculous reasons, and allow applications which were unimaginable.
We have to remember that planning committees are made up of people like those on this forum, who rely on the law to uphold or reject their initial decisions.
That is what democracy is all about, isn’t it?

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#49400 - 20/10/15 12:22 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
At least with Roads Service you only have to meet the required standards in terms of the required visibility splays or acceptable distance from main junction etc. With the planners it can be much more vague, you come into the realm of complying with policy documents which can provide a load of reasons supporting a refusal or resulting in lengthy delays or which can be just as easily ignored.

#49402 - 21/10/15 01:14 PM Re: Distillery plan for Newton Stewart [Re: Wee Rab]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Start as you intend to continue ... I think if those in charge of this project have acquired the two acre site for just £1, they are off to a good start. Unfortunately the suppliers of stills, wash backs etc are less likely to be as easy to deal with.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13873...e_Loch_Eriboll/

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com