Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#48900 - 26/04/15 06:40 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Wee Rab Online   content

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Hi Mike, I guess the grave in Whithorn you tracked down was not the one in which John Irvine was interred?
Cheers, Rab.

#48903 - 27/04/15 08:06 AM Re: World War One [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Loc: Wigtoon!
Hi Rab

I haven't tracked down even a possibility of a John Irvine grave. That's the mystery. Can't even find one for his aunt and uncle who seemed to be his guardians. Maybe an article in the local rag will stir some memories.

Mike

#50167 - 14/11/16 03:08 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Steeler Offline

Remember this old thread?

Well I've just found a report of another former Bladnoch Distillery employee who served in WW1 and joined the Home Guard in WW2:

Wigtownshire Free Press (29/7/1943): A prominent figure in the Wigtown district has been removed by the death of Major Robert Douglas, Bladnoch, who was buried with military honours on Wednesday. Coming from the North of Scotland to Bladnoch some 30 years ago he was employed at the distillery. On the outbreak of war he joined the Gordon Highlanders in which he rose to the rank of Sergeant-Major. Previously he had served 16 years with the regiment. He took part in the retreat from Mons, during which he was wounded. For gallant service he was awarded the Military Medal. After the war he took up his old duties in the distillery but, when it closed, he joined the staff at Bladnoch Creamery where he was employed at the time of his death. ... On the formation of the Local Defence Volunteers he immediately joined and was in charge of the Wigtown Company of the Home Guard at the time of his death.

#50168 - 14/11/16 09:19 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Nice wee bit of info Steeler. Quite a few of the employees came from the Highland distilleries. Did the article indicate if he had any family or if he was buried locally. I was over at the Somme earlier in the summer and at Menin Gate where there are the names of quite a lot of soldiers from Scottish regiments.
A wee bit of humour ... my postman is very interested in the British Legion and he had visited the Somme, he referred to his visit to leper (and pronounced it like the disease) By co-incidence I was in a cathedral in Ypres and saw the word leper which as everyone else except me knew, was pronounced "ieper" the Belgium way of spelling the French word Ypres. The capital "i" looked like an "l" to my postman and to me and when I asked someone standing nearby to explain what "leper" meant, he said "you'll be from the Emerald isle" in other words he was doubting my high level of intelligence.

#50173 - 15/11/16 06:04 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Steeler Offline

Robert Douglas' grave in is Wigtown Top Cemetery. His wife is also buried there. I need to do a bit more research to find where he was born and if he had family. Will let you know.

#50235 - 01/02/17 11:11 AM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Steeler Offline

Just found the birth record for Robert Douglas - he was born at Glenlivet.

#50236 - 01/02/17 02:50 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Interesting Steeler! Quite a few of the distillery workers came from the Northern distillery regions. In Dunvilles reports immediately after the first world war there were lots of references not so much about the shortage of men but of getting them accomadation.
In addition although there was prohibition in America the British government turned a blind eye to large amounts of Scotch whisky being exported to Nassau in the British Islands of the Bahamas. This was destined to be smuggled into the USA. At that time there was just a three mile territorial water limit and the Americans didn't have naval supremacy and were reluctant to arrest any British ships outside this limit even though it was obvious they were engaging in smuggling.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com