Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#48315 - 03/12/14 12:22 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Hi Mike,
Over the years that I was at Bladnoch I always thought there were quite a few of the local young lads joined the army. There wasn't a lot of choice of jobs, farming or the forces. Some of them spent time in N Ireland and were usually a bit reluctant to say so when they heard my accent. I think the son of the people who lived at the Halfway House on the main road above Kirkcowan was murdered during the troubles.

#48316 - 03/12/14 03:03 PM Re: World War One [Re: Raymondo]
Steeler Offline

Loc: Wigtoon!
Hurrah, the Chancellor says he's going to pay off the WW1 war debt by the end of the financial year. Hope no small business has been depending on the repayment for the last 96 years ...

#48319 - 03/12/14 11:34 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Hi Mike,we might start paying for WWII next year, or the year after!
Did Billy contact you, I left a message on his Facebook page.
Cheers, Rab.

#48460 - 08/01/15 10:06 AM Re: World War One [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Hi Rab

No, not heard anything yet but no rush.

#48461 - 08/01/15 10:08 AM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Steeler Offline

On a separate issue, I've just found another ex-distillery man who served in WW1. Wigtownshire Free Press (7/12/1916): "Mr & Mrs Malone, 19 High Street, Wigtown, have been officially notified by the War Office that their son, Private R Malone, Royal Scots Fusiliers, was wounded on the 13th ult. Private Malone was employed in the Distillery, Bladnoch, before enlisting, and he has now four brothers and a brother-in-law serving with the colours."

Robert Malone's two brothers who died were Blain and David (the latter buried in Wigtown Cemetery) and the brother-in-law was James McCulloch.

#48462 - 08/01/15 10:12 AM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Steeler Offline

And on another, separate, issue. There's going to be a consultation on the location of the site of the paving slab that commemorates Wigtown's Victoria Cross winner, Louis McGuffie. There'll be a small exhibition inthe County Buildings and the chance to vote on whether the stone is laid at the County Buildings end of the gardens or the other end, near the Mercat Cross. The homes where Louis lived in the town have been demolished so the gardens seem the best place. This is all well in advance of the actual slab laying which will be in 2018 - plenty of time for argument!

#48463 - 08/01/15 11:22 AM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Not many small towns in Scotland can boast a VC winner. So hopefully this recognition and its location will not cause controversy

#48465 - 08/01/15 11:39 AM Re: World War One [Re: Raymondo]
Steeler Offline

McGuffie is the only one in Wigtownshire but I think there's 4 or 5 in D&G.

There may be more of a hoo ha on the proposal to name the gardens after him.

Whatever, it's fun to have the first referendum of 2015!

#48468 - 08/01/15 10:42 PM Re: World War One [Re: Steeler]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Hi Mike, hope Billy managed to get to you, I yoked him at the local council meeting and he said he would talk to his grandad.
As far as the memorial is concerned, I would say the top of the gardens, closer to the war memorial.
Cheers, Rab.

#48897 - 26/04/15 09:58 AM Re: World War One [Re: Wee Rab]
Steeler Offline

Those of you who have been avidly (!) following this thread will know that I have been liaising with Rab (on and off) about a Whithorn man who was buried with full military honours in the twon but who had not been recognised by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

Well, thanks to the hard work of my mate Ken Morrison and others, John Irvine (the man in question) has now been officially recognised as a casualty of war. His name has been added to the Book of Remembrance. Hopefully there will be an article in the local press soon. It would be really good if his grave could be located as he would probably get a proper War Graves Commission head stone.

Here are some details: John Irvine, won Military Medal age 34 Private (9502) 2nd Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers.
John joined the Army in 1907 and had served for four years in South Africa. He was with his Regiment in Gibraltar at the outbreak of war and moved to France in November 1914.
He was awarded the M.M. in September 1916. John served throughout the war and was discharged due to illness in March 1919. He died at his aunt's home in Whithorn.
(Source: Service Record, London Gazette 19/9/1916 p.9201, WFP 7/9/1916 5a and WFP 26/2/1920 p.5e)
Born 1886 in Prescott, Liverpool. (Source:Service Record and GRO Birth Index)
Son of the late William and Margaret (Johnston) Irvine.
Nephew of Joseph and Elizabeth Dodds of 125 George Street, Whithorn
Died 19 February 1920.

I continue to research the people of Wigtown who went off to war. 218 men and one woman so far. Over the next few months we'll particularly remember those who died at Gallipoli.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com