Topic Options
#45470 - 21/08/13 12:07 PM New Signing
jwbassman Offline

Loc: UK
Hi guys - new to the forum, so just thought I'd say hi \:\)

Pretty new to whisky too as it happens, I blame my brother, he introduced me to it. Currently working hard at understanding and developing a taste for it.

Had a brief trip up to Scotland earlier in the year but unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to visit Bladnoch - it's first on the list for next time though.

Cheers

John

#45472 - 21/08/13 12:32 PM Re: New Signing [Re: jwbassman]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Hi John

Welcome aboard :-) What kind of whiskies are you enjoying at the moment?

Ross

#45475 - 21/08/13 01:26 PM Re: New Signing [Re: ]
jwbassman Offline

Hi Ross

Thanks for the welcome...

I'm currently enjoying a bottle of Glendronach 15 Year Old Revival (Ralfy recommended) and an Old Ballantruan (following a visit to the Tomintoul Distillery).

However I think my favourite whisky to date is the Caol Ila 12yo Unpeated 2011 Bottling \:\)

Just ordered a Bruichladdich from whiskybroker.co.uk so looking forward to trying that too.

There is so much choice it's hard to know what's any good or worth spending your hard earned on...

#45477 - 21/08/13 01:50 PM Re: New Signing [Re: jwbassman]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Interesting that you picked two islay unpeated whiskys :-)

I loved my bottle of Glendronach, very sad to see it emptied.

The Bruichladdich will be cask strength - if you enjoy that I would suggest and Aberlour A'bunadh - full of sherry goodness like the Glendronach 15. I think Batch 44 had some bad reviews, but I loved the earlier batches, and didn't have any problems with 44.

Enjoy the journey!

#45479 - 21/08/13 02:11 PM Re: New Signing [Re: ]
jwbassman Offline

Like I said, I'm quite new to all this - some might think it silly to go for non-peated Islay whiskies (and then a peated Speyside!) but that's just me I guess, never really been one to do what's expected or considered fashionable.

The Caol Ila was cask strength (64% if memory serves) - it was brilliant. Interesting that you should mention A'bunadh, that was one of the first bottles I bought, my brother had a batch 42, the one I got was a batch 44 which seemed fine to me (not that I knew what I was looking for).

I think that I'm leaning more towards the bourbon matured at the moment but then I happy to try anything - it's all part of the education \:\)

#45481 - 21/08/13 02:17 PM Re: New Signing [Re: jwbassman]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Sounds like you are in for a real treat with Martins Laddie then!

#45484 - 21/08/13 02:30 PM Re: New Signing [Re: ]
jwbassman Offline

Have you tried it? It's the first time I've ordered anything from him.

#45485 - 21/08/13 02:39 PM Re: New Signing [Re: jwbassman]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

He does some utterly fantastic bottles - tremendous value.

I'm not sure I have tried the 22yo laddie, let us know what you make of it.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com