Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44386 - 22/03/13 09:29 PM New forummer!
Den Weatherall Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Joined the site a few days ago just before coming up to Bladnoch for a visit last Monday.

It was a significant birthday so my wife treated me to a visit to our nearest Scottish distillery and I'd like to thank the wonderful staff at there for such a pleasant visit.

We'd love to come back when you're in production so I'll keep my eye open to see when that's possible. We took away several goodies including a bottle of 11yo Sherry Matured. Talking of which I think its about time I had another tasting!

Slainte

#44407 - 24/03/13 10:29 AM Re: New forummer! [Re: Den Weatherall]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Welcome to the forum!

#44414 - 24/03/13 05:14 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: ]
raithrover Offline

Loc: Fife
Glad you enjoyed the trip over the border and took home some contraband. Welcome to the forum.

#44431 - 25/03/13 02:13 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: raithrover]
autism Offline

Loc: sewickley, pa, usa
You have a wise spouse, treat her well on her significant birthday.

#44440 - 25/03/13 06:08 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: autism]
Den Weatherall Offline

Thanks for your welcomes!

If my wife finds out that she's being called "wise", I'll never hear the end of it!

#44462 - 26/03/13 03:46 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: Den Weatherall]
autism Offline

Perhaps but without you mentioning her brilliant idea, she never would have achieved world-wide fame on the Internet!*

* for use when you are in BIG trouble with her

#44470 - 27/03/13 10:27 AM Re: New forummer! [Re: autism]
Den Weatherall Offline

Thankfully I'm safe. My wife is a well known Luddite who yearns for the analogue days. Wireless to her is something you listen to, not a jumble of cables. Radio is also something you listen to but it has a dial that you can spin and rotate not a button that you push which takes you to stations that you don't want! So she's never going to find her way to an entry on a forum. To her a forum is what did for Caesar!

#44471 - 27/03/13 10:45 AM Re: New forummer! [Re: Den Weatherall]
rngt Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Germany
Welcome to the forum... and I hope she does not have a technical-affine BFF who shows her what you posted... *g*

#44473 - 27/03/13 02:01 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: rngt]
autism Offline

Den, it could be worse. My mother has NEVER learned to balance a check book. Either her father or her husband have always done it for her. My father has always had over draft protection on her checking account so she never even knows if she could have bounced a check.

Why do I know this?

About twenty years ago, I saw my father doing the books for the "Trowel and Error" garden club on a Sunday afternoon. I asked what in the world are you doing and he told me that my mother was Treasurer of that garden club but since she didn't know how to balance a check book, he had to do it for her. She was 58 years old at the time.

Talk about a "Luddite"!

#44475 - 27/03/13 03:30 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: autism]
MrTH Offline

Loc: Springfield Massachusetts USA
I think "Luddite" is the wrong term for that, Claude. In fact, today's tech-savvy generation is also generally unable to do simple math without the aid of a machine.

Anyway, for every woman of her generation who can't balance a checkbook, there's a man who can't make a sandwich.

#44478 - 27/03/13 10:22 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: MrTH]
autism Offline

But I would look so "bad" if I just called her "lazy"!

As for the "unable to do simple math without a machine", I often have to explain to a store clerk why I am giving them $1.04 for a 79 cent drink. Once they punch it into the register, they realize that I get a quarter in change but....

As for the women's garden clubs in Sewickley, I have commented before that we have twenty of them. If you don't like someone in one club, you start your own and so on, until we have twenty "catty" camps.

I can make wonderful sandwiches, I do house work and laundry (my problem is that I mention that I do all three things, which sometimes is taken the wrong way).

#44479 - 27/03/13 10:41 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: autism]
MrTH Offline

Loc: Springfield Massachusetts USA
 Originally Posted By: autism
As for the "unable to do simple math without a machine", I often have to explain to a store clerk why I am giving them $1.04 for a 79 cent drink. Once they punch it into the register, they realize that I get a quarter in change but....

Yes, and if you offer them the four cents after they've already rung in your dollar, they freeze up and have to be rebooted.

#44480 - 27/03/13 11:45 PM Re: New forummer! [Re: MrTH]
autism Offline

Yet they can LEARN and USE it. My autistic son can LEARN it but he rarely able to USE it; he get nervous, even in stores that know him, and he wants to leave immediately. One treasures simple things when you cannot have them.

I'll stop here before I chase Den away. By the way Den, we do seem to allow "free association" in many of our forum threads.

Edited by autism (27/03/13 11:45 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com