Topic Options
#43578 - 08/01/13 09:52 PM Another malthead from Germany
Tom na Gruagaich Offline

Loc: Augsburg, Germany
Hi there,

another malthead from Germany wants to say hello to this forum!
At first, sorry for my somtimes a little "creative" english writing and grammar, but I hope you can understand what I want to say \:\)

So, just a few words about me. My name is Michael, and my nickname is connected to the first munro I climbed in 1998. It was a mganificent but exhausting tour.

I am infected by the whisky virus since my first trip to scotland in 1996 visiting Edradour and Glen Ord. And I come back nearly every year, for hiking, visiting friends and ... of course, whisky. Im not a collector, I want to drink the fabulous stuff, not only look at it. My favourite distilleries are Bowmore, Glenfarclas, Port Ellen and of course Bladnoch. I really like the idea of single cask bottling and all the whiskies I've tried so far were excellent stuff.

I visited Bladnoch in summer 2011, when I was invited to a wedding in the area. And I really have to say, that the tour and the people at the destillery were great. That was the day, when Raymond Armstrong told me about this forum. Shame on me, that it took so long in time, but now I'm here. I hope I can join any good discussion with you scottish whisky fans, as I´m also an active user in a whisky forum in Germany.

See you
Michael

#43586 - 09/01/13 10:30 AM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: Tom na Gruagaich]
Ross Dargan
Unregistered

Welcome to the forum Michael!

It's a very friendly atmosphere! You will have to let me know about some good German whisky!

The only stuff I have heard about was produced by G Spirits - and was in pretty bad taste :-) (to be fair it was a Scottish whisky anyway)!

#43592 - 09/01/13 03:14 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: ]
autism Offline

Loc: sewickley, pa, usa
Augsburg, Augsburg? Anything ever happen in Augsburg?

Welcome to the forum and it is good that you have "seen the light".

Raymond can be very infectious with his enthusiasm for Bladnoch and single malt. Besides some good natured kidding, you can learn a lot about single malts, bottlings that you may not be aware of and even get some great deals from Bladnoch's shop.

Try the forum for a few weeks and if you like it, tell your single malt friends to join too.

#43598 - 09/01/13 09:19 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: autism]
Wee Rab Online   content

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
Shame on you Claude. Heavy trucks and diesel engines. Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg MAN trucks.
A Mecca for lorry nutters.
Hehehe. Been there more than a few times. Get them all told Michael. :o))
Cheers, Rab.

#43601 - 09/01/13 10:25 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: Wee Rab]
raithrover Offline

Loc: Fife
We all make it to the forum in the end! Welcome.

I've been on a few distillery tours with German visitors and they are passionate and knowledgeable about their whisky.

#43603 - 09/01/13 10:53 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: Wee Rab]
Tom na Gruagaich Offline

Hi, thanks for your welcome.

@ Ross Dargan
Well, I think at G Spirits the whisky isn't really in the focus ... ;\)
But OK, there are quite a lot micro-destilleries in Germany, often Breweries or producers of fruit spirits using column stills or the stills that are used for producing kirsch etc., who produces some kind of Whisky, that cannot be compared to scottisch products. Its different, but sometimes not bad. At the actual state it´s quite experimental and the results, as you can often read are of different quality. But they are getting better and better, adding a regional touch to the product.

I have tried 3 german whiskys so far, one i cannot remember the name, but it was nothing really to keep in mind.
In the south of Bavaria they are producing the Slyrs at copper pot stills since 2008, using unpeated malted barley and maturing the spirit in new oak casks. The results after 2008 were very well made and goog to enjoy.
The second distillery i want to mention is the AV Brennerei south of Trier at the border to Luxemburg an France, not far from the river Mosel. The whisky is calles Threeland. They use coloumn still, regional barley and mature the spirit in former Mosel whitewine barrels. Thats very interesting, expecially when they adding some Port Finish to it. Also not compareable to scottish whisky, but very good.

Have you tried any german whisky so far?

@ autism & Wee rab
Yes, I will tell my friends of the forum, of course.
Well I´m not sure about what Augsburg ist famous for in the UK.
Augsburg is twin town with Inverness \:\)
OK, lorries are constructed there by MAN and Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine there, but thats all I know.
In medieval times, Augsburg was a very important an wealthy trade town, especially because of the Fugger family.
And the "Pax Augustana" was signed in Augsburg, which declares peace between the catholic and protestant confessions in Germany after the reformation.
And we (still, definetily until July) have a Bundesliga football team \:\)

See you
Michael

#43608 - 10/01/13 12:03 AM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: Tom na Gruagaich]
MrTH Offline

Loc: Springfield Massachusetts USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom na Gruagaich
In medieval times, Augsburg was a very important an wealthy trade town, especially because of the Fugger family.

Ah yes, I think we are all well acquainted with the matriarch of that family.

#43616 - 10/01/13 03:32 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: MrTH]
autism Offline

My wife has been watching the movie "Luther" a number of times since Christmas. I am starting to hear the climactic scene of "The Augsburg Confession" in my sleep.

Hence my comment about "Augsburg?" Clearly a lot more has happened in Augsburg than in the "village" of Sewickley.

MrTH, is that where they came up with the movie, "Meet The Fuggers"?

Classic modern entertainment, like "Jersey Shore" and "Honey Boo Boo". Wait, perhaps this is why my wife and I don't watch TV, just decent (yet rather unsuccessful) movies!

#43659 - 15/01/13 10:17 AM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: autism]
Tom na Gruagaich Offline

@ autism
Yes, in Luther Augsburg was mentioned a few times. The Augsburg Confession was the first step, the last was the Augsburg confessions peace contract I mentioned before.
Sadly the scenes in the film were not taken in Augsburg but somewhere else in Germany or the Czech Republic.

#43667 - 15/01/13 11:36 PM Re: Another malthead from Germany [Re: Tom na Gruagaich]
autism Offline

From the credits, it looked like it was the Czech Republic. The German sites were listed by name but Augsburg was not on that list.

p.s. So far this year, my wife has watched two films; "Luther" and "The Agony and the Ecstasy". Since she has been getting these DVD's from our library, I think these two films are going to be on her birthday gift list.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com