Page 103 of 103 < 1 2 101 102 103
Topic Options
#50439 - 13/09/17 11:26 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
I revisited Martin’s 11 year old ‘Laddie again tonight after leaving the bottle uncorked for 24 hours.
I used less than a splash of water than I have done in the last two tastings, and I may have been a tad harsh with my original notes.
I still do not rate it as anywhere close to the better sherried whiskies on my shelf, the nose with water is still pretty earthy but the palate is much improved, but still not on the same par as the Glenallachie eight year old.
No matter, one bottle has been put under the stairs ready for deportation to the New World when Dave and Graeme next visit, and the other will be going south to Jon Trueman’s abode.
I will probably have an odd nip from the shelf bottle, but I think visitors will be the benefactors in this instance.

Cheers, King Rab.

#50442 - 27/09/17 10:35 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

In the glass tonight has been a selection of West Cork Distillery’s rum, sherry and port finished 12 year old drams at 43% abv.
They are all light, sweet delightful whiskies, each with the tang of the finishing casks, in which they spend just 110 days.
When I bought them from Constantine Stores in Cornwall on Monday, at less than £34 a bottle, one of my thoughts was ‘is this a batch which hasn’t cut the mustard, so they have banged it into different casks to try and improve it?’
The answer is ‘no’ they are all very good drinkable drams. They are a little on the sweet side for me, but at the current price they are fantastic value.
Anyone on a budget who wants to try some different finishes, you could do very much worse than try these West Cork bottlings.
I will probably buy another few bottles to put on the top shelf for visitors with a sweet tooth.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, HRH Rab.

#50459 - 31/10/17 12:04 AM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

Tonight I uncorked my last two 15 year old Bowmore from sister casks which Martin bottled.
On one hand, I am enjoying them very much, but on the other hand, when the two bottles are empty, that is it, no more, gone, never to be repeated.
No matter, I am sure I will find another couple of bottles which will fill the empty spaces on the shelf for a few weeks.
Earlier this month, I was like a wean in a sweet shop, when I was invited to choose what I wanted from a trade catalogue which was offering 25 percent off normal wholesale prices.
I restricted myself to six bottles, Lord knows how I managed to do it, and the saving on that alone was substantial.
I could have gone daft and spent a couple of thousand quid, but that would have been pure extravagance and self indulgence.
It was a close call hehehe.
I won’t say what I bought; suffice to say it will be on display with others of its ilk.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50468 - 07/11/17 09:13 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

In the glass this evening is an eight year old heavily peated Bladnoch, courtesy of Jon and Vikki Trueman , who graciously presented me with a case from their private stock, picked up at Whiskybroker in Creetown this morning.
It is an eight year old from barrel number 38, filled on October 16, 2009, and bottled at 59.6% abv by Martin on October 26 this year.
The colour is pale yellow, the body very full, clinging well to the glass.
The nose without water is not as peaty as you might have imagined, but peaty enough to almost disguise the light grassy notes of a young Bladnoch such as this. The light lemon and grassy notes are there however, if you give the glass a swirl and allow the whisky to warm up.
The palate without water is fiery to start with, and has an oily feel in the mouth. When the nip subsides, there is a big vanilla hit.
The nose with water brings out the traditional Bladnoch tangs, grass, sweet apples and vanilla, with the peat subsiding a bit.
The palate with water is lemon zest and vanilla, and a sweet charcoal taste.
The finish is short to medium, with the peat lingering on over the vanilla and grass.
For a relatively young heavily peated dram, it is extremely drinkable, so don’t be put off with the ‘heavily peated’ label.
Even with a dash of water there is still that oily feel in the mouth.
Cheers Jon and Vikki, this is a great wee dram.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50469 - 07/11/17 10:15 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Interesting notes Rab, thanks. I think most of the forum shares must be bottled by now and I think Martin will be quite a happy to see them finished. He has had, at times to take a bit of stick over things that he had no control. In addition on some occasions he's had to go to considerable lengths to track down some of the owners who haven't kept in touch.

#50474 - 13/11/17 09:24 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

In the glass tonight is one of Martin’s latest offerings, a 21 year old Speyside from Sherry Butt 32, bottled at 55.1% abv.
The colour is light tawny and it is full bodied.
The nose, unwatered, is sherry, humbugs and sweet candy floss.
On the palate is sherry, honey and soft brown sugar.
A dash of water releases a softer sweet fruity tang, and the palate becomes ever sweeter, with honey and some floral notes.
The finish is long and sweet with traces of light spice.
This is a lovely dram, especially for those with a sweet tooth.

I am fortunate enough now to have one of everything bottled by Whiskybroker this month, and if the Speyside is anything to go by, they will have all been worth the wait and website problems we have all been facing.
Like everyone else, I have had to make multiple orders whenever the site would allow, but all I can say is persevere, and don’t blame Martin. He is doing all he can to get the new online shop running smoothly.
With so many to choose from, I don’t know what to try next, but the Tobermory is drawing me like a magnet.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50475 - 14/11/17 09:30 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

In the glass tonight is Martin’s 22 year old Tobermory from sherry butt 688046, bottled at 56.8% abv.
The colour is coppery gold and the body is full clinging well to the glass when swirled.
The nose is strange, developing as the whisky warms in the glass. Initially there was a sourish note, but eventually it settled to a big ripe fruit, sherry and vanilla nose.
The palate is very spirity and warm on the tongue without any water leaving a citrus tang.
A dash of water releases more soft fruit, sultanas and raisins, and the smell reminds me of one of my gran’s freshly baked fruit tarts straight from the oven.
The palate has more malt and sweetness to it, but high alcohol still keeps the taste bubs tingling.
The finish is long and warm, with the citrus note to the fore.
This may not be a sherry monster, but it certainly is a bit of a beast, and a further dash of aqua tamed it quite a bit, settling it down to a nice warm winter dram.
Not one for the faint hearted, but it certainly warms the cockles on a cold winter night.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50477 - 15/11/17 09:32 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

In the glass tonight is Martin’s Ben Nevis, 21 years old, bottled at 54.8% abv.
The colour is light copper and the body is full.
The nose is sweet, honey and marzipan and the palate is light and fruity, reminding me of orange marmalade.
A dash of water releases more sweet vanilla and almonds on the nose, and the palate is much smoother with a taste of Battenberg cake.
The finish is medium to long with a light minty and spicy aftertaste.
Another lovely dram from Whiskybroker, but I see from the shop site that a follow up order is out of the window as it is no longer available, as is the Tobermory.
No matter, I still have a few new bottles to uncork.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50479 - 16/11/17 10:11 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

Tonight’s glass was filled with Martin’s eight year old Ardmore, bottled at 54.2% abv.
The colour is pale yellow, and the body is medium to full.
For a Highland dram, it has the nose of Lowland whisky, and isn’t a kick in the bahookie away from the peated Bladnoch bottled at Whiskybroker recently.
Apart from the peat and smokiness, there is a grassy and floral nose, and the palate is vanilla, light fruits and peat.
A dash of water releases more sweetness and honey, and the palate is sharp and peppery.
The finish is medium leaving an aftertaste of smoke and spices.
For a relative youngster, it is very nice indeed, and a far cry from the Ardmore Port finish I have been enjoying quite recently.
Not sure what to uncork for tomorrow night, but so far I am enjoying everything which I have opened this week.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50488 - 13/12/17 12:14 AM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Offline

I’ve had an interesting night with glasses of Edradour 14 year old from an Oloroso sherry cask, and a Girvan NAS single grain from a sherry cask.
Both were interesting, and very drinkable.
Of the pair, the Edradour is more to my palate, but I cannot fault the Girvan from the Creative Whisky Company.
For those who like and prefer grains, such as Vikki Trueman, the Girvan is going to add width to the selection she enjoys. I will keep you a bottle Vikki, have no fear.
The main nose is vanilla with lots of sweetness, and it takes a dollop of water well. The sherry notes add another dimension to the grain and it has a long slow warm finish.
The Edradour is very good. Definitely one of the better Edraour maturations. Lots of ripe fruit, raisins and chocolate. Long finish with cinnamon and cloves.
Both were part of my order from the Whisky Barrel in Fifeshire, part of my personal Kingdom hehe.
Looking forward to Martin’s Strathmill which I will be picking up tomorrow, unless the weather police stop me using my car!

Cheers, HRH Rab.

Page 103 of 103 < 1 2 101 102 103

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com