Page 101 of 103 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 >
Topic Options
#50287 - 14/03/17 09:45 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Online   content

Loc: Whithorn, Wigtownshire, Gallow...
In the glass tonight is that wonderful 25 year old Cambus from sherry cask 62929 at 56.6% abv from Martin’s ‘Creetown Bond’ as his Whiskybroker premises are now known.
This was the one both Martin and I preferred from the four casks he had.
It is nowhere as sweet as cask 62930, the other cask which was bottled and sold out within three days.
Unfortunately, the other two casks have gone to the trade, so everyone will have to watch the private shops to see if it appears on sale.
I managed to get half a dozen bottles of tonight’s dram, and will be saving them for kitchen tastings when visitors pitch up.
It really is superb single grain bottling with loads of character.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50288 - 16/03/17 10:31 AM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Re "Creetown Bond" I think Martin is trying to separate his cask storage business from his whisky selling and bottling, at least in name. Storing casks in a premises called Whiskybroker Ltd doesn't give immediate clarity. I've also questioned whether "Whiskybroker" is an appropriate name for his sales of bottles of whisky. Most other whisky businesses seem to develop brand names. However at the moment Martin and Jane are just busy doing everything that needs to be done particularly if it brings in income.
The move to Creetown almost three years ago although somewhat forced on them, has been a good one.

#50289 - 17/03/17 12:44 AM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Online   content

Hi Raymondo,
You are of course correct, but I can’t wait to see what the distillery will be called.

Talking of distilleries, I had a call from Yolanda telling me that Billy, dad of Graham from Crafty Distillery in Newton Stewart had sadly passed away last weekend.
I met him on several occasions on site, and we talked whisky and the progress of the new distillery.
I didn’t know him well, but we had lots to talk about, after he had accepted me as a supporter of the project.
Such a shame that he has passed just before the distillery opened.

Cheers, Rab.

#50290 - 18/03/17 10:06 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Beefy Offline

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
Having a Tornado IPA beer tonight from the windswept brewing Co.
A lovely citrus hoppy IPA but like Brewdog Punk IPA or some of these other really hoppy beers one is probably enough. So what to have next?

#50291 - 18/03/17 10:08 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Beefy Offline

Loc: FIFE SCOTLAND UK
Having a Tornado IPA beer tonight from the windswept brewing Co.
A lovely citrus hoppy IPA but like Brewdog Punk IPA or some of these other really hoppy beers one is probably enough. So what to have next?

#50292 - 19/03/17 01:33 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Grant Offline

Loc: Stonehaven
So Francis , did you have that Jura next ?😜

#50326 - 13/04/17 09:02 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Online   content

In the glass tonight is Martin’s 25 year old Tamnavulin at 51 % abv, and it is a delightful dram.
The colour is a light pale gold, the body is full and the nose is soft brown sugar and marzipan.
It is quite peppery on the palate with lots of ripe fruit.
A dash of water brings out more floral and honey notes on the nose
The palate changes noticeably, bringing out briny and citrus notes.
It has a fairly long finish which is spicy and peppery.
I think this is a real summer time dram. It is light and fresh, and certainly so much better than the proprietary Tamnavulin which used to be readily available many moons ago.
It is nice to lay hands on a few bottles of a relatively rarely bottled Tamnavulin of this age.
I wouldn’t hang about if you are thinking of putting an order.

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50345 - 18/05/17 08:33 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Wee Rab Online   content

In the glass first tonight is a Cooley 13 year at 52.7% abv from a sherry hogshead, one of the Whisky Barrel’s Exclusive Malt range, which arrived early this morning
I have always been partial to Cooley, and this one falls into the Irish Sherry Monster class.
The colour is auburn and the body is medium to full.
The nose is sharp and fruity, Granny Smith apples and sherry.
It starts fiery on the palate, but after swilling it around the gums, out come the taste of Jaffa Cakes with pepper.
The nose softens with a dash of water, but still full and fruity, and there is an oilyness on the palate.
The finish is long and peppery, like a glass of liquid Christmas cake. I love this one.
I also took delivery of a case from Constantines in Falmouth this week, as they reduced the price of their Macmyra stocks, and I had never tried it.
I bought some Brukswhisky, Ek and Rok, but I think it will take a wee while to acquire a taste for it, however I will persevere.
Later tonight I will try some of Martin’s new release, Braes of Glenlivet which I picked up this morning.
Her indoors has not said anything about my latest spending spree, she looks at the rapidly filling shelves, and shrugs!

Cheers ‘n’ beers, Rab.

#50346 - 18/05/17 08:57 PM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Dave N Offline

Loc: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Cana...
A man's got to do what a man's got to!!
I'm having a pre birthday dram while I'm making supper.
A Hart Bros. 14 yr Cask Strength Dailuaine
Heading to the Shebeen tomorrow am for two days of lobster and dramming. Taking the 47 yr old AMX for the trip, about a 3 1/2 hr drive. Hope she makes it ok, will take a small tool kit with me just in case.

Slainte

Dave N

#50349 - 19/05/17 09:00 AM Re: What's in the Glass..... [Re: Anonymous]
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
A small tool kit could make be useful if you know how to use it. Is this AMX a motorbike Dave and how far in miles?

Page 101 of 103 < 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 >

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com