Topic Options
#18561 - 30/09/05 11:01 AM Burns : Travelling volume 1896
Anonymous
Unregistered

Raymond, I remembered that you are knowledgable in such things and wondered if you (or any of the forum members) could point me in the right direction.
A old soldier friend has a couple of Burns volumes, one is from 1945 and not in best condition. The other is a bit more interesting; I've tried various Burns websites but not had any success. I'll post the details here and any help or comment would be appreciated.
The book beautiful wee travelling pocket volume measuring two and three quarter inches by three and five eighths of an inch. Calf jacket with outer edges lined in Gold with intact snap fastening. Spine title “The Idle Hour” embossed in Gold with playing card symbols,( Heart, Diamond,Club, Spade, the latter two inverted.) Front of jacket embossed “with the compliments of J & W. Wilson Ltd. Mersey Paint Works, Wapping, Liverpool. Reverse jacket embossed Mead & Fuller, 36 Oxford St. W.1. Regd. No. 660820. The jacket is in very good condition with only slight stitch loosening at top and bottom. Inside end page is inscribed twice; “James Cameron” faintly visible; other obscured.

The volume itself is bound oxblood calf embossed with Gold pattern on inside edge; Spine embossed “R. Burns’ Poetical Works” in Gold lettering. Front cover embossed “Robert Burns” also in Gold lettering. Second inner page inscribed” T. McNeil”. Frontispiece is illustrated with Lithograph showing and titled “Burns’ Monument and the new Brig O’ Doon. 535 Pages including Index combining Titles with first lines,gilt edged (thumbed). Page marker. Songs have tune titles ascribed. Only damage is small tear on introductory page and binding very slightly loose on both covers. Published by David Bryce and Son, Glasgow 1896. VG+

Cheers,
Bob

#18562 - 03/10/05 02:32 PM Re: Burns : Travelling volume 1896
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
Not easy Bob, I have a catalogue from the John Mitchell library in Glasgow. The catalogue claims to be the largest gathering by and about Burns in the world. You might try emailing them.
It mentions a "The poetical works of Robert Burns" 1894 David Bryce and Sons (Stanley Edition)
Personally (if I can get them and can afford them) I like editions published during the lifetime of the poet. I'll keep checking.
raymond

#18563 - 04/10/05 09:20 AM Re: Burns : Travelling volume 1896
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your sound advice Raymond.
Regards.

#18564 - 06/01/06 10:51 PM Re: Burns : Travelling volume 1896
Raymondo Offline

Loc: Banbridge. N.Ireland
For all you Burns fans we have something on at the distillery on Tuesday night 31st Jan at 7pm .... not quite on the anniversary of his birthday but near enough.
I think it's called "Branding Burns, Stick the Heed on it" and it's a talk illustrated by Burns poetry. It's not the first time Hamish has performed at the distillery and his presence always makes for an interesting night.
Needless to say you'll get a few wee drams on the house.

Moderator:  Raymondo 

© Raymond Armstrong - Site design & maintenance by kirkmoor.com